Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning a 10 day long trip out of state for next month, and our big dilemma is what to do with the dogs. We will be visiting a state park in Idaho and they do allow dogs, but I am not sure bringing them would be a good idea. We have a small maltese/poodle and a pit/lab. I think the pit would have a great time but the issue is he is not very well behaved. He is very hyper and strong, jumps on people, and I’m worried he would yank me off sand dunes or bother our fellow campers. Also he would have to deal with a 2 or 3 day long car ride each way.

So my other option is, we luckily have a house with a doggy door, so we can leave them at the house and have someone come by to check on them daily. I do not live in a nice neighborhood though, so having the pet sitter take them on walks would be out of the question. (I was attacked by a neighbors pit bull just last month while walking in the neighborhood and I am still recovering). Although she can come and play with them outside for an hour or so. I just don’t know if that will be enough interaction with our dogs though, because they have never been alone for that long or away from both of us for even a day.

My big one is too rambunctious and whiny to stay at any of my friend’s houses, and I am just worried he would keep them up by whining or knock over things in their house with his tail. I don’t have any recommendations for dog boarding houses either and 10 days for 2 dogs can get very expensive for really nice places. I would much rather them be in familiar territory at least.

So, what to do? Is having someone come over for a couple hours a day going to be enough? They have the whole house to themselves + the fenced in backyard. We will leave them plenty of toys. I just want to do the best thing for the dogs.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
We always get a house sitter if we are going to leave the animals. It just feels like they need that much human company. Do you know anyone who might be willing to stay over? Perhaps a young person who would like to have a "place of their own" for 10 days?

I agree with you that boarding a dog at a kennel is not the best option if you can avoid it... its terribly stressful on the dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We always get a house sitter if we are going to leave the animals. It just feels like they need that much human company. Do you know anyone who might be willing to stay over? Perhaps a young person who would like to have a "place of their own" for 10 days?

I agree with you that boarding a dog at a kennel is not the best option if you can avoid it... its terribly stressful on the dog.

That would be ideal but the only person I know of that would possibly be willing to do it is also one of my most unreliable of friends. I have not lived in this area for very long so I have no family or really close friends that could do it.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Personally, I would kennel my dog before leaving it alone for more than a day (or drop it off with a friend/family member if someone was willing). 10 days is a long time for a dog to be alone and not get in trouble, even with someone stopping by daily. I build in the cost of kenneling into any out-of-town trips. Just my personal opinion.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I ditto seebrown. I'd kennel before I left my dogs at home as well. That being said, I've never kenneled because we always brought our dogs with us but I understand your concern.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Id bring them.

You have a month to work on your dog. maybe that will make you pick up your slack and start training.

i wouldnt leave them alone in the house

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I would not leave my dogs alone even for one night. I ditto the idea of preparing them for the trip if you are not willing/able to board them at at kennel. I think too many things can go wrong if they are left alone.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If we travel in the states, my dogs come with.

If we leave the country, they get boarded or stay with family. Mine don't seem to mind the boarding facility but we use one of the fancy ones with all day group play. When we pull up, they are always excited to get out and play there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts