Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this will sound dumb and people with tell me not to anthropomorphise my dog buuuut.... as most of you know, I really want to get a Border Collie (no matter how much @Shandula tries to talk me out of it) ;) I'm concerned that Aspen will feel sad that she'll have to share my attention. Obviously, I'll be spending time with them both but she would have to share me. Am I being ridiculous?

Those of you who had one dog and after a year or two, added another- how did it go? Was it a non-issue? Were you concerned?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Nearly every time I've added a puppy, it's gone fine - better when the existing dogs are younger. They become friends and it's actually very smooth (aside from puppy blues!)

The exception being Chisum - my current dogs were very receptive to him but he had his issues and didn't get on with them right away. He's a more extreme case though; an anomaly.

Have fun with your BC! My friend has a young BC from farm lines and it's fun to watch her stalk things and interact with her as she's super intense. I've always liked farm BCs.....even if it's a breed I'm not personally interested in :). My Lab/BC was plenty for me!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Every dog I have ever added to my family, even when I was young and my parents added dogs, has gone perfectly fine. Especially if it is a puppy and the current dog is young enough to entertain it. Also, throughout college I had a revolving door or roommates that all pretty much had dogs and that all went fine as well.

The only time I was concerned was when I added a GSP puppy with an older scottie, only due to size and activity differences, but they ended up fast friends and never even had an squabble between the two.

If your dog likes other dogs I can't imagine that you would have a terrible outcome. I mean every dog is different, but if I was you I would go for it :)

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Nooooooooo! Nah, they're amazing dogs, and you like to do a lot of training, so a BC would be a great addition for you!

I was concerned with Levi, but it has been easy breezy. It has helped tremendously with him being more calm around other dogs now, and he's excellent at waiting for his turn to work which makes him a great demo dog.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She really likes other dogs so I think that will be a plus. I'm still quite a ways from doing it but I'm doing lots of research, emailing breeders, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
See, Roxie being the b*tchy female that she is, was not too pleased when Forbes came along. She was really jealous and began resource guarding us, and we had a few spats about it. I think you are savvy enough to be able to detect the signs correct them if needed.

You are going to be a GREAT BC mom!

Reactions: Aspen726
1 - 7 of 7 Posts