Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Trixie absolutely adores my husband. When he gets home from work she goes insane all happy to see him.

But the very first thing she does after she greets him and runs and finds her nylabone and then sits at his feet chewing on it.

The same thing happens if one of us lays down to watch tv, before she can snuggle with us she MUST run and find her bone and then comes and lays down with us and chews her bone.

Like it is part of her routine and she has to have her bone. It almost feels like some OCD behavior lol

There is nothing wrong with it :) But I am just curious why she does it?

Reactions: StormyPeak

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know why she would be doing that, but it sounds cute.

I do have a few suggestions that COULD be it. It could be she feels the urge to chew, my puppy wants to chew when he gets excited. Maybe you already taught her not to bite you, so to satisfy the urge she very appropriately finds something to chew on, happily.

Or maybe it just turned into a habit.

Either way it is really quite cute <3

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have found with my dogs, that they don't like to chew or do much when I'm gone, other than sleep. So when I'm home, they chew a lot. Also, excitement is a big incentive to chew.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Sounds to me like she's just found a good way to release some of the 'excitement stress' and I'm not using the word 'stress' in a bad way here...just more like emotional overload...

But the dog has had surge of excitement and it seems like she's found a way to calm herself down as she's still feeling things even after that initial surge of physical excitement she showed upon greeting him.

My own dog, HaHa, a golden retriever. Will pick up a toy and walk in a tight circle wagging his tail and 'snorting' with kind of a 'oohff oohff' sound when he's excited and when he is also stressed in a negative way....but then while he still packs the toy and turns, his tail is tucked, his head is held at a lower angle and his ears are pinned back a bit. The movement and the toy though are his 'valves' so he can deal with whatever emotion he has....and after he stops moving, he'll still lay down with the toy in his mouth for a little while before letting it go and then usually laying so his chin is resting on it.

Stormy : )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts