Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there im new here. My girlfriend has a like ten or eleven year old beagle/jack Russell. Her name is minnie. Minnie relay comes and stays with us for the weekends for the past 3 years. No problems at all. She also has a herniated disc in her back. Recently it acted up so my girlfriends mother took her to the vet. The doctor on last Tuesday gave her a cortisone shot and a script of cortisone pills and tramadal. We are up to giving the cortisone only 2 times a day and still on the 3 times a day of the other. She is staying with us longer so her parents other dog didn't get to rough with her.
So let's flash back. There was really no problems, we were carrying her down the stairs Tuesday to make sure she could go to the bathroom. On Thursday she had a pee accident on the rug. No problem. But now she is just randomly ealing into the living room and just peeing in the rug. And not waking us up in the middle of the night. And just going. The other day she did it 3 times. I saw this morning when I got up a big pee spot on the rug. So i took her out before I left for work. When I got home there was another and I took her out and she peed fine. Less then 2 hours later she was eating her dinner and just stopped eating and walked across the carpet and dropped and peed.
Luckily our friend gave us a rug cleaner.
But my question is, are the meds causing her to not even let us know she has to go. I know what tramadal is for adults ( I work in a senior home.)
Also Sunday she stayed in bed all day when my girlfriend was home. I came home from work and she peed on the rug. So that is making it confusing. We never had this problem before and she only does it when I'm home it seems. And minnie never did that. I had a good relationship with the her as well, I always take her out and give treats and love and such. So like I said I'm just confused why she is.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Sounds like the meds might be giving her bladder urgency, and since she feels like she cannot make it outside in time, she runs right to her "emergency spot" that she has established on your rug. Remember, dogs can smell dog urine even if the spot smells clean to a human. You need an enzymatic cleaner that actually dissolves the molecules making up the dog's urine in order to totally eliminate the scent, and prevent your rug from smelling like a doggy washroom.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Meds can definitely cause bladder problems.

Due to her severe allergies, and in spite of what I read about it, I let my vet talk me into putting my dog Jaya on Predrizone...terrible decision on my part.

She almost peed my carpet under...total loss of bladder control. I would let her out to go and 10 minutes later in the house she would go again. This was even happening when I started to let her out every half hour! Also, I was exhausted from having to clean up the messes, and in having to let her out and in almost 24/7 - at night I would hear her get up and I would immediately get up too...afraid she was going to take a leak in the house...and usually I was right and too late.

I took her off the stuff within 2 1/2 weeks...as it was also changing her personality and not for the best. With the vet's approval, I even tried cutting back on the dosage...but it didn't really help with the urinary problem and she went right back to scratching again.

I'm not sure with your dog it there are any other options...but you should check with your vet and make sure it is the meds causing the issue and find out if there is any other way to help your dog.

Hopefully with your dog, the disk will heal up without any pain, I've heard that sometimes that happens, but as someone who has dealt with 3 different ones, and one of them requiring surgery. I doubt the odds are real good on a pain free recovery.

But...it might heal up enough that as long as the dog isn't bouncing around too much that a mild nsaid, might work. With some of my elderly pets in the past, my vet has told me that a 'baby' aspirin is ok for dogs that have occasional mild arthritis flair ups.

I hope that you and your vet can come up with a good treatment for your dog without all the bad side effects.

Stormy

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Cortisone can cause excessive thirst and urination, so it could very well be that. Tramadol is not known for that side effect.

What I would do is take her in and have them send out a sample of urine for analysis just in case. You may actually want to consider having a full blood panel done on her too, just so you have a baseline of what her levels are. Where I work, there's a panel we can send out that includes both blood and urine.

Anyway, it could be the med. But it could also be a urinary tract infection, bladder infection, bladder stones or crystals, cystitis, etc. I would want to rule that out just so you know for sure it's the medication, which is what the urinalysis would do.

If it is the med and other conditions are ruled out, the best solution for now might be to take her out more often. Sometimes those side effects subside as the dogs body gets used to the medication. If it doesn't and it remains an issue, you may want to discuss some alternative medications. Since she's an older girl, she might not have as good of control over her bladder in the first place. I know my older GSD isn't as good at holding it....I let her out of the bedroom and the first thing she does these days is go out the dog door to pee. She used to want her food first. She will also become anxious if she has to pee, which never used to happen because she could hold it much longer. It's quite different from my 4 year old border collie who wants food first thing in the morning, and going potty is much lower priority than other things as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.