Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello—
Noticed our dog (~7 yrs, shepherd mix, male) had been chewing around his butt lately. Yesterday realized there is a small, maybe 1" diameter mostly bald spot on his upper thigh / butt. It looked almost glossy, and appeared to have some pus around it. Seems like a couple other spots on his body have been bothering him, and today round a reddish, irritated patch on one of his front "armpits" where his front leg meets his body. We've got a broad spectrum anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory med I've started putting on. It seems like this could be a few things, and I haven't had a chance to speak to a vet yet, but curious for anyone's take.

A couple other things—— It'd been extremely hot here up until about yesterday——he's got a pretty thick coat and heat bothers him a lot. We've gone swimming in a few rivers / streams yesterday, some spots probably not amazingly clean. I'll try to wipe him down afterwards whenever we're in one, but concerned maybe he got something in the water. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The usual suspects in cases like this are parasites (fleas, ticks, lice, mites); allergies or infections (bacterial, viral, fungal).

Parasites, allergies or infections.

The medication you bought will cover you for certain instances of the third case and if you guessed correctly then you might start thinking that you have veterinary skills that you don't necessarily have.

Do you know who DOES have veterinary skills? Your vet! Not some random strangers on the internet. I get so frustrated with people looking for medical advice from random strangers on the internet because they don't want to pay for vet.

COME ON!!! Sometimes I just want to shake people who make posts like this! I know that many Americans don't have medical insurance for their dogs (or even for themselves) but when when you have taken the decision to have a dog and the dog gets sick then you need to man the fuck up and take it to a vet!

I'm going to say that 90% of the medical questions we get on this board are from Americans saying "I have no access to a vet", "I can't find a vet", "I can't afford a vet".

... then don't get a fucking dog! I'm so tired of this!

Without proper knowledge then "treating" this yourself as you have done is like trying to debug a computer by random clicking. For EXACTLY the same reason you wouldn't let a chimpanzee debug your computer, you should not be "playing vet" with your dog.

TAKE ... THE ... DOG ... TO ... A ... FUCKING ... VET!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a fucking Saturday. I live in a rural area where I can't get to a vet before maybe Tuesday. That's why I'm fucking asking you absolute imbecile

·
Registered
600 Posts
It's a fucking Saturday. I live in a rural area where I can't get to a vet before maybe Tuesday. That's why I'm fucking asking you absolute imbecile
Let's back up a minute. Your dog has a couple of bald spots that are getting a lot if his attention.

It's Saturday but you've decided to diagnose and start treating this on your own initiative without any medical knowledge whatsoever. You have also decided to ask the "hive mind" what they think.

I could understand this if you thought your dog was going to die before Tuesday (btw, the vet is also open on Monday and probably has an emergency number in the weekend).

This does not look like an emergency. Your dog is uncomfortable and needs to see a vet. Are you REALLY going to take them on Tuesday or will you think of another excuse not to do it then? I'm asking because we have had MASSES of people who come here asking for medical advice and continue to make excuses for not taking the dog to a vet well after they have had the opportunity to do so.

Base upon what you have said so far (treating the dog with whatever was at hand without a diagnosis, excuses why you didn't take the dog to the vet last week even though these kinds of things do not develop over night ... etc) I'm going to guess that you are one of the many who don't WANT to take the dog to a vet because it will cost money and you want the internet to tell you what to do.

That is EXACTLY how you are coming across and it is why I'm responding to you like this. I'm fed up with telling (almost exclusively Americans) that they need to take their dog to a vet when they are sick.

IT'S ... NOT ... ROCKET ... SCIENCE

So you may feel defensive about this but look in a mirror before attacking me about it.

If you just agree that you need to take the dog to a vet and you promise to do it on Tuesday as you said then we will both be happy.

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
Oooookaaay everyone, let's all take a wee step back and be nice.

OP, it's hard to say what's likely to be wrong with your dog but the pus, irritation and redness sound uncomfortable. For swimming, in our area we have blooms of toxic algae - that wouldn't cause the signs you describe but it is another concern where the water isn't clean and free flowing.

So, yes, please do take your dog to a vet. I tend to treat vet visits for my dog the way I treat doctor visits for myself - I don't rush in for every minor ailment but if something is ongoing, or getting worse, it needs an expert.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My bad. I made some assumptions about the OP's motivations that I shouldn't have made.

@ ws1511 I hope your dog is ok and gets over this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me be clear, I am reaching out to a community with a pool of knowledge on this issue bc I have got an uncomfortable dog I cannot immediately take to the vet. It is possible something I describe will clue someone in to the condition. Not sure why that's difficult to grasp. The sort of folks who hang out on sites like this might be able to help! Pretty simple!

JoanneF— thanks, yes, I'm wondering about something waterborne that might cause this. It's an unusual looking rash; he has had other rashes before. I am aware of toxic algae, and as you suggest, I do not think that's a concern, and understand that's an issue of ingesting. It also seems unlikely to be fleas, as we haven't been around much lately, besides being outdoors. I agree: "I tend to treat vet visits for my dog the way I treat doctor visits for myself - I don't rush in for every minor ailment but if something is ongoing, or getting worse, it needs an expert." I ask for the reasons listed above.

@dogslife — who the fuck trolls a forum where people seek help for dogs and types out a response like that? WTF? If you're actually in Europe, you're trolling a dog forum at like 10 pm on a Saturday. ?? Also—— if I were one of the tens of millions in this people in this country who could not afford to take my dog to the vet, maybe, gee, bc the unemployment rate has hit about 30% here—— and was desperate, perhaps the decent thing to do would be to help. Fuck off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone has any particular thoughts, reposting my original description. It is an unusual, bothersome rash, that cannot be immediately seen by a vet. Any remedies or ideas are welcomed

"Noticed our dog (~7 yrs, shepherd mix, male) had been chewing around his butt lately. Yesterday realized there is a small, maybe 1" diameter mostly bald spot on his upper thigh / butt. It looked almost glossy, and appeared to have some pus around it. Seems like a couple other spots on his body have been bothering him, and today round a reddish, irritated patch on one of his front "armpits" where his front leg meets his body. We've got a broad spectrum anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory med I've started putting on. It seems like this could be a few things, and I haven't had a chance to speak to a vet yet, but curious for anyone's take.

A couple other things—— It'd been extremely hot here up until about yesterday——he's got a pretty thick coat and heat bothers him a lot. We've gone swimming in a few rivers / streams recently, so wonder about something waterborne. Any thoughts?"

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
Okay, dogslife has apologised, please let's draw a line under this and look for solutions rather than going over what's been said, please?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Let me be clear, I am reaching out to a community with a pool of knowledge on this issue bc I have got an uncomfortable dog I cannot immediately take to the vet. It is possible something I describe will clue someone in to the condition. Not sure why that's difficult to grasp. The sort of folks who hang out on sites like this might be able to help! Pretty simple!
The point is well taken. You have a dog that you should have taken to the vet last week (but you didn't) and now you want the internet to tell you what to do.

It's entirely clear and my answer was also entirely clear. the dog is in no immediate danger but you must take it to a vet in order to get a clear diagnosis.

Pretty simple.

@dogslife — who the fuck trolls a forum where people seek help for dogs and types out a response like that? WTF? If you're actually in Europe, you're trolling a dog forum at like 10 pm on a Saturday. ?? Also—— if I were one of the tens of millions in this people in this country who could not afford to take my dog to the vet, maybe, gee, bc the unemployment rate has hit about 30% here—— and was desperate, perhaps the decent thing to do would be to help. Fuck off
You know, I know there are millions of Americans who can't afford to take their dogs to the vet. This is, of course, distressing. Your dog doesn't care about the unemployment rate. All he wants you to do is to take care of him. Any excuses you make for not doing that are YOUR responsibility, not mine.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hello—
Noticed our dog (~7 yrs, shepherd mix, male) had been chewing around his butt lately. Yesterday realized there is a small, maybe 1" diameter mostly bald spot on his upper thigh / butt. It looked almost glossy, and appeared to have some pus around it. Seems like a couple other spots on his body have been bothering him, and today round a reddish, irritated patch on one of his front "armpits" where his front leg meets his body. We've got a broad spectrum anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory med I've started putting on. It seems like this could be a few things, and I haven't had a chance to speak to a vet yet, but curious for anyone's take.

A couple other things—— It'd been extremely hot here up until about yesterday——he's got a pretty thick coat and heat bothers him a lot. We've gone swimming in a few rivers / streams yesterday, some spots probably not amazingly clean. I'll try to wipe him down afterwards whenever we're in one, but concerned maybe he got something in the water. Any thoughts?
Sounds like hot spots. My friends long coat shepherd used to get them alot and some would get a bit pussy. He didnt hose or dry after daily swimming. Invest in a doggy blow dryer, i use that after my dog swims who has thick coat. I hose him down after swimming. When my dog gets a mild irritant from water i use paw paw cream from chemist. a pet shop suggested that and it works for my dog anyway. Its essential 2 stop your dog licking to give it chance to heal. Clip around all spots to let air flow on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like hot spots. My friends long coat shepherd used to get them alot and some would get a bit pussy. He didnt hose or dry after daily swimming. Invest in a doggy blow dryer, i use that after my dog swims who has thick coat. I hose him down after swimming. When my dog gets a mild irritant from water i use paw paw cream from chemist. a pet shop suggested that and it works for my dog anyway. Its essential 2 stop your dog licking to give it chance to heal. Clip around all spots to let air flow on them.
Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts