Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, heres the story.. the day before yesterday I want with a Friend to pick up something from there house, as soon as We got there I saw a man loading a dog in a crate into a truck, and me being the animal lover that I am, I walked over to see. Upon inspection i saw that it was a Very pregnant and adorable chihuahua. I asked the man if it was safe for her to be traveling in her condition, his reply was "Im Not sure.. doesnt really matter, im just taking her to the pound. I dont have time for a pregnant dog" i was obviousley saddened by this, since it was his fault for Not having her spayed, and now he was just going to dumb her of like nothing. But anyways, I decided to take her to avoid her being taken to the pound, and I made an appointment with my vet for this Saturaday.. the only problem is, Im Not sure if she has that long.

The Pretty big, has quite a bit of milk, and Not only can I feel the pups, i can actually see them rolling around. I got a book yesterday about whelping pups in small breed dogs, and it said that once there temperature Goes below 99 degrees the pups should come within 24HRS.. yesterday it was around 100 degrees, and this morning it dropped to 98.3 and now Its up to 99.0 degrees. Could they come soon? She seems to be acting normal, other than some slight nesting in the whelping box i got for her, but then again Ive only had her for 2 days so Im Not really sure what her normal behavoir is.

I have a whelping kit, whelping box, and an emergencia vet clinic standing by incase she does go lnto labor and something Goes wrong (God forbid) so i think Im Pretty prepared, but i would really like some insight from someone Who knows what there talking about.

I know that this is Very long, and Please excuse and gramatical errors as i am on my phone trying to type this on a Very small keybored, but i really appreciate anyone Who takes the time to reply. Thanks!:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If the temp was accurate, you are probably looking at pups today or tonight. Be sure to study up on signs and symptoms of problems during delivery. Do you have any idea what the dad is?

If he was much larger, you may have a problem where she can't pass the pups vaginally. Also be sure she knows what to do as far as cleaning and caring for them if this is her first litter. Try to stay out of the way, and only intervene if needed. Since she hasn't settled in yet this may be a very stressful delivery.

All will probably be fine. Usually right before delivery they engorge with milk, but the temperature is the best way to tell. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! I did see the father, he too was a Chihuahua, quite a bit smaller than the mother so I dont think the size of the pups should be a problem.

But as you said, with her being in a new place i am worried about her stress levels. She Seems to have taken to me quite well, but it still worries me.

Ive been reading all day about Chihuahua whelping and potental things that could go wrong, so i feel Pretty much prepared for anything. Thanks again for your reply!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Lynnemarie also has experience whelping so she may be able to help if she replies.

Sorry i am no help.

And good for you for rescuing! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
The one main problem with chihuahuas is the head type..If any of the parents had the correct apple head you may be looking at a section. Also just because she and the male may be small if either has large (parents) in their line the puppies could be large.

I know you said you read up on symptoms, one thing you really have to watch for is eclampsia. Especially since you do not know any history on what she has been eating. I had a female go into labor for hours to only stop and be in much distress. I had known the symptoms so straight to the vet we went. It can be easily remedied by a vet, yet she still had to be sectioned hours later due to one of the puppies heads.

Keeps us updated on the progress...Good luck..:)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thank you for rescueing her and eep. I wouldn't know what to do in such a short amount of time. I;m one of the frantic type of people and don't do well with these kinds of situations. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Thank you so much for stepping in to help her.

I have no advice on delivery, but once the puppies are born, contact a chihuahua rescue and see if they can help with vaxxes, worming and placement of the pups. Even if they just give you their contract to use and some advice on screening homes, that would be helpful.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts