Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weight is definitely not everything. Everything is coming along great with my new puppy. She's a boerboel. She is now going into her 15th week and is almost 34lbs. Should I be worried that she is undersized? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try mixing wet and dry food because she doesn't really seem "into" food. She'll nibble and walk off and/or play. I do take her bowl up after 20 min (which there is usually plenty left), but she's doesn't seem that much hungrier at her next meal. Any thoughts are appreicated.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The best thing is probably to bring it up with the vet at the next checkup. He will be able to index her height, weight and breed in order to chart her growth and see if she's on track. As a rule of thumb for puppies, they should be a tad on the chubby side, never with visible ribs.

What type of food is she eating right now? A high-quality puppy kibble that is high in protein or fat will be the most appetizing to her in a world that is otherwise just too exciting for snack breaks.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If she has suddenly changed her eating habits I would take her to the vet if she has been eating this way for awhile I wouldn't worry about it as long as she's eating and looks and acts healthy. If she seems to be getting thin or lacks energy I would see a vet to make sure nothing wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was reading kirkland, but there's no costcos here so I switched her to bil-jac. I put a lil bit of yogurt (plain) the last week to help her through her upset tummy. She's all switched now and back to firm stools.

I'll look into the vet thing..she has a visit next later on this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
727 Posts
Bil jac is a pretty good food (imo), since you feel that she's under weight I would definitely have her checked out by a vet. If she checks out clear with the vet, (I usually wouldn't recommend switching foods if pup is doing well on it) maybe try a different flavor of bil jac, or a different brand of food that might be more palatable to her. I'm not a fan of feeding wet food during potty training, it usually makes accidents more smelly, soft and harder to clean up, but if that's not an issue wet food would likely be more appealing to her. I hope everything turns out good! :)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The best thing is probably to bring it up with the vet at the next checkup. He will be able to index her height, weight and breed in order to chart her growth and see if she's on track. As a rule of thumb for puppies, they should be a tad on the chubby side, never with visible ribs.

What type of food is she eating right now? A high-quality puppy kibble that is high in protein or fat will be the most appetizing to her in a world that is otherwise just too exciting for snack breaks.
To echo this, Merlin wasn't much of an eater when he was that age. I just assumed it was just him. He still grew normally and ultimately he'll probably be on the larger spectrum for his breed (Boston Terrier), so I didn't worry about how picky he was. Then I changed his food for unrelated issues. He's eating Acana Lamb and Apple and he practically inhales it. I honestly think he'd do backflips for it if he thought that's what it would take haha.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dallas went to the vet today. She's 33lbs going into her 3rd week. The vet says he doubles the weight at 16 weeks and that's the weight for females. So he's saying 75-85lbs at the most.

All I can do is wait and see. #1 I want her to be healthy and I'd want her to be lean vs. overweight. I don't agree with the vet especially because he didn't know what a Boerboel was lol. He did say that she has giant paws and would be big. If you don't know the breed and know it's a mastiff type of dog you can't really know the growth rate these dogs have. They are known to not fully grown until 3 years old (weight wise). They grow up and then fill out.

I'll keep you all posted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts