Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone Im hoping you all can assist me. I wrote a while back about my sisters pup Nemo..he's a Pomeranian mix about 14 years old(She got him from a doggy day care he had no birth certificate so his age is a guess) he was diagnosed in 2012 with a trachea collapse which is common in Poms..he was doing fine til November 2016 when the coughing became out of control, so Nemo was put on Torbatol for his cough..it helped somewhat but not a lot he had his good days and bad days. You have to understand with Nemo, he has a VERY sensitive stomach..chronic colitis, had pancreatitis a few times in the past, so ANY side effect from medication, even the smallest chance he will get it..in January the Vet recommended he have a teeth cleaning, said it would help his cough so he had it done, survived with flying colors..the cough stayed but after a month it pretty much disappeared, then the other issues started..the staying on the Torbatol caused Nemo to get inflammation in the stomach(Every few days he would puke for no reason, not want to eat) so the Vet gave him an ultra sound, determined it was inflammation and gave him steroids for it for my sis to give him for a month..after 2 days the Vet called and said to stop the steroids because he saw his pancreas level flared up and said that the steroids could cause him pancreatitis so she stopped the meds..he was doing better til Saturday morning..he had NEVER had a heart problem EVER in his whole life..but Saturday morning he could not breathe, was coughing like he couldnt breathe so my sis took him to the Vet hospital(One near her house not Nemo's primary vet) where he was diagnosed with heart failure(Yeah literally out of the blue..had xrays, check ups but the Vet said his heart was VERY healthy for a pup his age) so the ER vet checked his kidney function, said it was fine and gave him Lasix, 2 injections of it and also pills for him to take..well on Monday my sis took him to his primary Vet he said he could treat his heart failure no problem but apparently the Lasix was too much for his kidneys to handle and he was almost in renal failure..the Vet basically gave up on him, said that he needs Lasix for the fluid to get out and that without it there is no hope for him..but he gave him heart meds and NO lasix..well he seems to be doing MUCH Better..he pees A LOT, the color of the urine is normal color(Before it was clear now its more yellowish like pee should be) and he's hungry and more active..so bottom line my question is, can a dog be treated for heart failure with anything else besides Lasix..what do you do for a dog(Or person for that matter) that cant tolerate Lasix..maybe a small dose he can handle(0.3ml) just not sure what to do we want to keep him alive for as long as he humanly can we know he is old but I Read about pups being 17, 16 years old I just want Nemo to live a long life but it always seems he takes two big steps forward and a HUGE step back..any help would really appreciate sorry for the long post

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You would have to talk to your Vet, maybe a Vet Cardiologist, but Lasix is pretty potent stuff, and will remove fluids from around the heart and lungs, but the downside, of course is, it will work the hell out of kidneys in doing so. My guess is, there would be alternatives to Lasix, but again, you probably need a Vet that specializes in cardiology involved.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I appreciate you letting me know. The Vet told my sis on Monday they think what happened is that Nemo had a valve leak which caused the fluid to occur..he said it can happen in the blink of an eye literally that fast and that it happens all the time..Ive never heard such a thing..maybe if he had an ecco months ago they would have seen something and he would have been put on heart meds and the fluid would not have occurred like this..the Cardiologist she brought Nemo to yesterday was a jerk, didnt want to do any tests on him, said that if his kidneys cant tolerate the lasix there is nothing that can be done..but then he said maybe a small dose he could tolerate all depends if his kidney function goes back up on its own

·
Registered
368 Posts
something doesn't sound right or we're not getting all the information.... your puppy on Enalapril and Pimobendan, too? Makes the job for the lasix a lot less necessary often... plus didn't your 'cardiologist' recommend spironolactone? It's another diuretic that can often help in cases of difficult Chronic Heart Failure. If your pet is still alive at this time, would at least consider all these meds (have treated many hundreds of cases of heart failure, and also pay very close attention to recommendations by local cardiologists). But there is always a compromise if you have both heart and kidney failure, though the heart problem is generally the more pressing issue... dogs can often survive with some degree of renal failure as long as they keep eating and not vomiting all the time. Would at least give it a try. And yes, heart failure can literally occur overnight, though usually it starts out first with a murmur, and then increased respiratory activity before it develops into full blown failure with difficulty breathing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
something doesn't sound right or we're not getting all the information.... your puppy on Enalapril and Pimobendan, too? Makes the job for the lasix a lot less necessary often... plus didn't your 'cardiologist' recommend spironolactone? It's another diuretic that can often help in cases of difficult Chronic Heart Failure. If your pet is still alive at this time, would at least consider all these meds (have treated many hundreds of cases of heart failure, and also pay very close attention to recommendations by local cardiologists). But there is always a compromise if you have both heart and kidney failure, though the heart problem is generally the more pressing issue... dogs can often survive with some degree of renal failure as long as they keep eating and not vomiting all the time. Would at least give it a try. And yes, heart failure can literally occur overnight, though usually it starts out first with a murmur, and then increased respiratory activity before it develops into full blown failure with difficulty breathing.
Im not familiar with any of those meds that you mentioned above..my sisters pup takes 1 heart medication not sure what it is but it seems to be helping thank God..yesterday Nemo went to get an xray done on his chest and they found NO fluid in his heart and lungs and his kidney function improved..his creatitine level is back to normal and his BUN I think you call it is 111..on Monday it was 184 I think normal range is up to 20 so he still has a ways to go but he is improving on his own..the Vet said that if he needs something else to help with fluid there is something besides Lasix that he can take(It starts with a P I forgot the name) so knock on wood he is doing better..and he went for a little walk today, nothing major just a walk a few houses down from my sis he enjoyed being outside

1 - 5 of 5 Posts