Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm 15 and I'm trying to talk my mom into a dog. I'm a guy and I have a younger sister who's 13. My mom travels for work extensively and I want to know a good type of dog to get. Low matinence, not a big barker but gives a bit of security. Want it to be a loyal loving dog, that likes water, I live on a lake. I want it to be able to travel as well.

We were looking at a Brittany and weimaraner. Please let me know! Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As far as low maintenance, my personal experience with the Weim I grew up with was that she was the far opposite of low maintenance.

She was the most hyper-active dog I ever owned, but she also didn't come from a great breeder so I am sure that had a influence. She was water obsessed, loved to play fetch and very sweet with people she knew. She was not a huge fan of strangers but not aggressive, but our lives revolved on making sure she had enough exercise because she was so hard to tire out. I have known quite a few that are neurotic. Great dogs though! Just A LOT of work especially for a 15 year old as a first dog.

Good luck with getting a dog! I got my first very own dog at 15 as well :)

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go with a breed bred for companionship (non-sporting group or toy group). Any spaniels or pointers aren't low maintenance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts