Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please do not think bad of me. I have a 12 year old 5 lb Blonde Yorkie. She has been my life for 12 years now. She is dying. Just lays there. Blood and puss are coming leaking out of her rear. She can hardly breathe. Her kidneys are shutting down. I didn't think she would make it past last night but she did. It's killing me to watch her slowly die. Does anyone know how to humanely and peacefully euthanize at home? No I cannot afford a vet, so please don't be hard on me. I can't stand to see her hurting this way. No, I can't shoot her, but is there a sane affordable way. Before I get slammed by anyone please know I am nothing but an animal lover. She is so precious to me but I know it's her time to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I am very saddened by this and my anger towards the animal hospital is beyond words. They claim to love animals but they want to see your wallet first while your pet dies before their eyes. I truly wish I had a way but I can't think of one.

I'd like to say that I know what you're going through but I don't.
Stay strong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for you support. She is just so precious to me. She has been my shadow since I got her. She's always at my heel and she even knows what time i come in from work. My husband says the same time every day she sits at the front door waiting for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Really this is something you need a vet for...
Normally euthanasia, at least in my area, really isn't that expensive. Maybe $100. A few vets in my area will go to long time clients'homes and mine at least has had offered payment plans in the past (again we are long time client and have a good relationship , eould be different if we weren't). It's not advertised but our local shelter and low cost spay/neuter clinic will do owner requested euthanasias at very low cost for people with ill dogs unable to afford euth through their regular vet. Def worth a phone call.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Please do not think bad of me. I have a 12 year old 5 lb Blonde Yorkie. She has been my life for 12 years now. She is dying. Just lays there. Blood and puss are coming leaking out of her rear. She can hardly breathe. Her kidneys are shutting down. I didn't think she would make it past last night but she did. It's killing me to watch her slowly die. Does anyone know how to humanely and peacefully euthanize at home? No I cannot afford a vet, so please don't be hard on me. I can't stand to see her hurting this way. No, I can't shoot her, but is there a sane affordable way. Before I get slammed by anyone please know I am nothing but an animal lover. She is so precious to me but I know it's her time to go.
I would take her to the shelter in your area and ask them for help.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Unfortunately, the shelters in my area won't allow the owner to be with the dog when they perform the euthanasia, but my local shelter has a non-profit shelter "intervention" group that will help owners take their dogs to low-cost vets for a humane euthanasia. Pettyd, can you call your local shelter and ask them for advice and help?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Unfortunately, the shelters in my area won't allow the owner to be with the dog when they perform the euthanasia, but my local shelter has a non-profit shelter "intervention" group that will help owners take their dogs to low-cost vets for a humane euthanasia. Pettyd, can you call your local shelter and ask them for advice and help?
If the dog is suffering I would say my good by's and let her go. Better to know that she is not suffering any more. Kidney failure is very painful.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Its difficult to imagine a Vet that would allow an animal to suffer, when there is no hope for recovery. The Vets I know of, in this area, will euthanize compassionately and work out the finances after. As already said the cost to euthanize isn't usually that much, and when we had to euthanize a cat, years ago, I didn't see an invoice for six months. Have you actually checked with your Vet, for costs etc?

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
See what the cost is then see what you could hock to raise the money and have her put down with you there. If there's nothing to sell to raise the money then take her to the local shelter and turn her in there and have them put her down. You will likely not be able to stay with her when they put her down but it will be better then having her pass on her own at home.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I am very sorry for you and your pup, I know how it feels. Calling shelters is a good idea, and try calling different vets too and explain, or better go in person. I wouldn't drag your dog around with you, but if you if you talk to someone in person they may be willing to help you out. You can also look in to care credit I think its called. Its a line of credit that most vets accept.

Around here most vets aren't willing to work with people. My neighbor had a kitten with a hole in it's stomach and intestine coming out. He just wanted it put down and they turned him away. It's sickening, they claim to love animals but often put money first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts