Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
498 Posts
I remember when I started agility with Alva. We had practiced single obstacles using treats as rewards. At the end of the course our instructor had set up a 4 or so obstacle long "course" of jumps and a tunnel. I produced a tennis ball from my pocket, showed it for Alva and put it back. Alva ran like wind through the obstacles and I maneuvered her almost blind because I had forgotten to bind my hair.

We had to quit agility thereafter though. I do take her to mock trials sometimes so she can run tunnel courses. I think the opportunity to run with her human and do tunnels too is a reward in itself...

I do rally obedience and obedience and since Alva is no border collie or malinois, her mental endurance is not as long as theirs. If I amp her up too much before the ring she won't show her talent there because I have tried her out. Too little warm-up and she is as lazy. I think I have found the equilibrium for rally trials by making simple contact exercises and some heeling and spins right before our run but our obedience trials needs still working on.

Regarding agility, I would not have been worried of amping her up too much because, well, she does not have excessive resources of drive. As long as she knows how to perform the obstacles safely, I would have wanted her to run crazy fast over and through them. If it failed I might have ended up eith a dog barking madly at me. Some dogs lose their ability to focus when they get too excited, I guess.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.