Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I do NOT endorse these, as most of you guys know. I'm heading back home this weekend to have my bridal shower and hang out with my family until the wedding. Both dogs will come with me because Ben will be at work all day, so that's not fair to either dogs.

Anyway, I'm asking because a dog Levi went to several classes with lives in Kingston and I'm sure we'll be getting together for some play sessions. She has recently started using an E-collar much to my chagrin. My question is, if he is corrected while the dogs are playing, is Levi going to feel any of that? Especially since both dogs like to grab each other around the neck. They're good buddies, so I don't want Levi to associate Axel with bad things.

Thanks everyone. :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I would imagine, depending on how high the shock is, he might. Do you think she would be willing to take it off of Axel while they play? I would just be worried that Levi might bite it or something. I mean it does have a battery in it...

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, those were my thoughts as well. The thought of it makes me nervous. Maybe we won't worry about scheduling a play date with him, as I doubt she'd take it off.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Yeah I would politely decline on play dates. More than the zap possibly transferring to your dog I would be worried about the behavioral implications. Dogs playing with e-collars on are usually expected not to play nicely with others (hence the collar), either that or they are heading in that direction!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm shocked at the ignorance about how the collars work here. The answer is no.

It's highly unlikely that Levi would feel anything. A shock collar passes current from 1 electrode to the other which is at ground potential. They are pretty close together and if the collar is fitted properly the path of least resistance (which how electricity flows) is across the skin.

I'm not saying that there is no way he could feel but its very unlikely. If you have any doubts ask the woman if she'll put the collar around her arm, grab her hand and press the button. You'll see that the current doesn't pass on to you.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'd pass on the play with your friend's dog. Tell her you don't want to be responsible for her dog getting punished for some infraction that might happen while the dogs are playing that causes her to shock her dog. Why would a dog that's playing with another dog need a shock collar on anyway?

There is a small risk if your dog were to get it's mouth parts under the contact points on the collar, when your friend was shocking her dog, your dog would get a shock.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Actually E-collars are supposed to be removed when a) dog is not supervised and b) during play due to safety risk to the dog wearing the collar (not sure about the other player) as it can get caught/damaged. I've personally seen them cause damage during play and example of this was a Rotti that got the prongs impaled in his throat when he got tackled by another dog. Yeah that wound was not pretty.

If Levi does go to a play date, I'd tell the owner that the e-collar has to come off. I'd then ask her to put in on and realize how uncool it is to electrocute your best friend.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If the dogs are inclined to grab at each others neck, there is a risk of your dog grabbing the front of the shock collar strap and yanking the prongs into the other dogs skin.

Edit: Kaywilson beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think the more worrisome thing is that Levi's friend will begin to associate the shock with Levi. If he's getting shocked while he's playing with your dog, he may become aggressive towards him because he believes he was the one that caused him to get hurt, not his owner.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's really sad that she won't take it off for a play date.

@Shandula - Do you know that this is the case? Maybe she's not planing to leave the collar on when they play. As KayWilson mentioned, there are usually instructions to this effect in the packaging of all ecollars. Dogs shouldn't live with them on. I have an e collar and for the most part I only put it on when we're going out. Based on advice I read here I take all collars off when my dogs are playing since they can get their teeth stuck under them and inadvertently choke each other.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Esand - That's a good point, I'm not sure if she would take it off or not. I definitely will ask. I'm always a little cautious with him when they play because he goes from happily playing to way too intense in an instant. I'll ask her though, it would be nice to see her and Axel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts