Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add a new male basset to our family. I have my eye on one he is gorgeous but he has bright blue eyes. I have done research and most people say this is a fault. I am just wondering has anyone out there experienced actual genetic defects of there own, or is it just something people say because it's not normal/desirable for the breed? I just want to know before I commit to this puppy. Because I don't want a sick dog years down the road. I am very familiar with the Basset breed as I already have one. But I am confused because I read different opinions online about blue eyed bassets. He is a tri color but his eyes have definitely not changed. The breeder says he was the first to do everything, the first one to bark and howl, the first to eat solid food the first to venture outside. Seems like a pretty spunky puppy I just don't want one with health issues. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
It's a fault meaning you couldn't show him, but if you don't plan on doing that you should be fine. Blue eyes can occasionally pop up in any breed.
Agreed, go for him. Also no dog, or human, for that matter, ever come with any kind of health guarantee. You know that vow, for better or worse, sickness and health! Applies to dogs we adopt too.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Blue eyes are not a health problem. They are fairly common in any sort of Merle colored animal and do show up in other colors also. I have a blue eyed merle Shih Tzu x Maltese and neither breed usually has blue eyes and if they did could not be shown.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Blue eyes are a major fault in the Basset Hound's breed standard, which simply means he would be disqualified from the show ring. It has zero influence on either hunting ability or health, and is merely an aesthetic issue. And it never ceases to amaze me how many unhealthy, structurally unsound features some show breeders will deliberately lock in their bloodlines to get a better edge in the ring, whilst simultaneously penalizing minor ones like eye color, when they are not linked to a genetic aberration.

All that being said, if this is a breeder who is using blue eyes in their breeding stock as a selling point, you might want to tread carefully. Otherwise, go for it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts