Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. :D

There's this woman who walks her wolf hybrid(?) around my area. Almost every time I see it (1 or 2 times a week, maybe, and she's been walking it for a few months now), it seems to be blowing its coat a ton and wearing clumps of undercoat. I don't think I've ever seen it with a shiny, healthy-looking coat. I saw it this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks and it was literally covered in undercoat. It looked like a sheep, lol.

I'm definitely not an expert or anything -- just a hopeful future dog owner. So I was wondering, is this unhealthy for it? I live in Florida, so is the shedding worse due to climate?

Just curious.

Thanks. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is definitely shedding season for dogs, especially in our hot, humid Florida climate!! The thick-furred dogs will generally have their full coats in fall and winter. I was born and raised in Alaska, and the wolves and huskies and other similar thick-furred dogs had incredible, beautiful, lush coats in the middle of winter! They're built for cold climates and thrive in the same.

Shedding alone doesn't indicate that he's unhealthy. His coat is not going to be in prime condition this time of year (even up in Alaska, and definitely not here in FL). :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is definitely shedding season for dogs, especially in our hot, humid Florida climate!! The thick-furred dogs will generally have their full coats in fall and winter. I was born and raised in Alaska, and the wolves and huskies and other similar thick-furred dogs had incredible, beautiful, lush coats in the middle of winter! They're built for cold climates and thrive in the same.

Shedding alone doesn't indicate that he's unhealthy. His coat is not going to be in prime condition this time of year (even up in Alaska, and definitely not here in FL). :)
Ah, got it! It's just that every time I see this dog, it looks like it's never seen a FURminator in its life, lol. Glad to know it's all good. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
IMO, it's neglectful to let it get that bad. It's hot and uncomfortable for them. I've owned shedding breeds almost my whole life and I groom my best friends husky. I don't think there's any excuse for a dog looking like that. I understand letting it get to a certain point before actually getting it deshedded; like seeing some tufts of fur and undercoat working their way out. But one good deshed session with the right shampoo and conditioner, the right tools and a high powered blower and that fixes it for months. And the dog is much more comfortable.

As for health, he's probably healthy under there. But poor nutrition from a crappy kibble can sometimes worsen shedding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.