Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I have been reorganizing the house a bit, and started some of the disinfecting process from the parvo and flu. I was walking to the grill with some food for lunch and dropped it on the floor. I only said one word, and it sounds like "Dang it". My Quaker liked it and instantly repeated it back to me. She has been running around her cage, flapping her wings and playing while saying "The word" about every 3 seconds. This has been going on for about 20 minutes with no sign of her letting up, lol. Goes to show how fast they can pick up a word or phrase.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i once taught a green wing to mimmick the sounds of a cat being chased by a dog. at first it was funny...then...well his cage and play area was outside the breakroom at the zoo, and all you would hear all day long all the time was that poor cat screaming and that little annoying dog barking at it....needless to say, my co-workers weren't particularly pleased with me.....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, that is funny. I have heard some weird stuff come out of my birds. Charlie is 5 and has a full vocabulary, but will rarely speak around me because his original owner was a women. My voice is too deep to trigger him. I hear things all the time from him when I leave the room. Including every bad thing he has every been call (by his second or first owner). I am sure my neighbors think I have a women chained up in here that is cussing at me all the time, lol. (zons actually mimic and will sound just like the person that they learn the vocabulary from)

Oh yeah, Crio, you can keep your shut up, I can only imagine that coming from a cockatoo. Must be earth shattering, lol.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
hahaha....I made it a point to let my neighbors know I had the bird so they didn't think I was killing cats and dogs in my spare room. Maybe you should tell your nieghbors that your bird sounds like a deranged woman.

Magic will scream like a dog dying..he also barks...he used to live in a grooming salon.

A macaw I raised first word was "cracker" from customers kids saying poly want a cracker to him all day... it was a proud moment for him.lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
pfffttt!!! that's too funny!!!

There was a petstore near us growing up and my parent's wouldn't let my brother or I go in because the parrot there said MANY naughty words-guess someone thought it was funny to teach him to swear like a truck driver :p

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
omg the same macaw i was talking about earlier would swear up a storm! but it was all in spanish! at first we thought he was just making nonsense noise until someone in our education department (who spoke spanish) took him on a walk about the zoo and he started cursing at the people they passed.....lol...he always seemed so happy whenever he was cussing...anyway, they had to find a new home for him bc he couldn't be used by the ed department after that (he had originally been a "drop-off" that someone left there somehow, you get a lot of that at a zoo) i think one of the volunteers who rescued birds took him home.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...she has taken a break from the D word, and now she has the song of a cardinal down perfectly. Nice toon, but she is like a kid on sugar when she learns a new word or song, lol. Link below is a recording of a cardinal. Imagine that every waking moment of the day.:eek:

http://www.birdjam.com/birdsong.php?id=3

Bubba the Macaw is now barking also, lol.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Well...she has taken a break from the D word, and now she has the song of a cardinal down perfectly. Nice toon, but she is like a kid on sugar when she learns a new word or song, lol. Link below is a recording of a cardinal. Imagine that every waking moment of the day.:eek:

Bird Songs and Sound of Northern Cardinal

Bubba the Macaw is now barking also, lol.

oh god thats horrible. I don't remember ever hearing cardinals sing...but maybe I blocked it out. Is Bubba barking more than the dogs yet?

Tippy absolutely disaproved you making us listen to that.

YouTube - cardinal confusion.

LOL :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bubba actually barks, howls, and whines on occasion. Usually he will start when the dogs start up. Alex is now imitating Missy's squeaky toy and slinging food at the dogs when they get near her.

Gotta love animals with this level of personality. The reward for the little annoyances is when a breakthrough is reached. When I woke up today, Charlie yelled out Hello as I walked by and waited for me to walk to him and scratch his head with aiming at my finger.

Before this he would run away or freak out until I opened his cage and showed him a treat.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Bubba actually barks, howls, and whines on occasion. Usually he will start when the dogs start up. Alex is now imitating Missy's squeaky toy and slinging food at the dogs when they get near her.
:rofl:
Gotta love animals with this level of personality. The reward for the little annoyances is when a breakthrough is reached. When I woke up today, Charlie yelled out Hello as I walked by and waited for me to walk to him and scratch his head with aiming at my finger.

Before this he would run away or freak out until I opened his cage and showed him a treat.
couldn't agree more! lol...which one is which again? sorry...i know bubba is the b&g...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Charlie is the Amazon, that I adopted. The owner that finished his hand feeding passed on from Cancer. The breeder took him back, but never let him out because Charlie would attack her face. I took him in and had him on my shoulder in a few days, but he never accepted me in his cage without attacking.

Lexie/Alex is my 13 year old Alexandrine that I purchased at a feed store. She was in a 1'x1'x1' cage and was so scared of people that she would quiver anytime a person was near.

Clover is my quaker on crack, lol. Her original owner purchased her from a pet store but didn't know how loud quakers can be. Her husband made her give up the bird.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me pass along this story I once read..

The Preacher Buys A Parrot

"Are you sure it doesn't scream, yell, or swear?" asked the preacher.

"Oh absolutely. It's a religious parrot," the storekeeper assures him.

"Do you see those strings on his legs? When you pull the right one, he recites the lord's prayer, and when you pull on the left he recites the 23rd Psalm."

"Wonderful!" says the preacher, "but what happens if you pull both strings?"

"I fall off my perch, you stupid fool!" screeched the parrot.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
thanks for the rundown/roll call...:)

that is a house full of noise you got there!

lol..."quaker on crack" just got the best visual image of a strung out dude with a big black hat and those tiny wire rimmed glasses....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
LOL, on the joke and the visualization of the strung out quaker

Wow, I am so tired right now that I had to read both previous posts a few times.

Actually, thie only one that is noisy all day is Clover. The rest are only loud at dawn and dusk, unless clover anooys one of the larger parrots. Bubba scared the heck out of me one day. I was napping in the bedroom where I can't hear clover. Bubba got angry with all the noise and let out an extremely lous squack that shut up everything in the house and woke me up from a dead sleep. When I came out to check on them, he was happily munching on his pellets while all the rest were bug-eyed, and I am sure wondering what the heck was that.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.