Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Ozzy Luna
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
my ten year old fat dog has been a real troublemaker lately and I’ve beem trying to find ways to keep him tired. When he is bored he starts to ruin things. He is really slow and doesn’t like to take walks with me and only does when moms around. I got my other dog Luna on the treadmill and she is good at it. But ozzy refuses to get on. He just puts two legs on and starts to grab the treats. I tried to make some border out of peace’s of wood in the garage but my mom got mad. He doesn’t usualy need to walk for that long but needs to release his energy as he gets very restless. Any ideas how to get him on. I got him to kind of understand but he still is not ready. I love him and really want to make sure he doesn’t get antsy. He is my baby and I don’t want to give up on the tredmill.

thanks so much.

IMG_6611.gif

·
Administrator
867 Posts
Hi.

Forget the treadmill, and work on mental stimulation. Games like Find It - hiding treats around the room, then around the house and garden, and letting him search for them, Where Is? - As Find It, but with items instead - keys, gloves, books, his bowl, toys, leash. Tidy Up - Put your toys away

Enrichment toys - treat dispensers, buster cubes, Kongs, slow feeders, likkimats.

Puzzle Boxes - an empty box, plus shredder paper, plus treats. Hide the treats amongst the paper, get him to search for them. This gives himself something it's safe to destroy and channels that energy. ;)

Chase The Treat - throw a treat across the room and let him run or walk for it.

Trick training.

Any idea why he's reluctant to go for a walk with you and not with your mom? Is she doing anything different? Taking treats or a favourite toy perhaps? Varying her routes or the speed with which she walks, doing training with him, letting him off leash, taking him out in the car? Etc.

I'm not saying your a bad person ;) far from it, lol, but maybe if we find out what it is (if anything) that she does differently, we can work on your bond with the dog so that he does want to go with you. :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Generally speaking a destructive dog is a bored dog and there is absolutely nothing more mind numbingly boring than walking on a treadmill the fact that you're giving him treats to do it doesn't make it any better in fact you kind of defeating the object ...walk 2 steps get a treat that's hardly going to make him lose weight.
You need to find a way to interest him find a game he enjoys, a new walk he enjoys , give him something to sniff, to explore, and be a dog again.

By the way if this is new behaviour then you should consult a vet to make sure that there is nothing else going on to make him feel this way.

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
252 Posts
Definitely do mental stimulation for the destructiveness
To lose weight, first of all, just change his food portion- dogs that exercise less don't need quite as much as the package says. And perhaps you can teach him to like playing tug or fetch to burn calories

Reactions: Schnauzaluv

·
Registered
Ozzy Luna
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi.

Forget the treadmill, and work on mental stimulation. Games like Find It - hiding treats around the room, then around the house and garden, and letting him search for them, Where Is? - As Find It, but with items instead - keys, gloves, books, his bowl, toys, leash. Tidy Up - Put your toys away

Enrichment toys - treat dispensers, buster cubes, Kongs, slow feeders, likkimats.

Puzzle Boxes - an empty box, plus shredder paper, plus treats. Hide the treats amongst the paper, get him to search for them. This gives himself something it's safe to destroy and channels that energy. ;)

Trick training.

Any idea why he's reluctant to go for a walk with you and not with your mom? Is she doing anything different? Taking treats or a favourite toy perhaps? Varying her routes or the speed with which she walks, doing training with him, letting him off leash, taking him out in the car? Etc.

I'm not saying your a bad person ;) far from it, lol, but maybe if we find out what it is (if anything) that she does differently, we can work on your bond with the dog so that he does want to go with you. :)
Hi.

Trick training.

ozzy doesn’t like to walk with me because he wants to be with his mom. He just would sit down and i would have to drag him. I don’t think he trusts me. Sometimes when i walk with my sister it works. He is lazy but that probably is Not the reason why he acts this way. Also with those games, I am trying to get my dog to eat less since he is a fatty. Im assuming if he has to work for it he won‘t gain that much weight. We also give him a low fat healthy diet.

·
Registered
Ozzy Luna
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally speaking a destructive dog is a bored dog and there is absolutely nothing more mind numbingly boring than walking on a treadmill the fact that you're giving him treats to do it doesn't make it any better in fact you kind of defeating the object ...walk 2 steps get a treat that's hardly going to make him lose weight.
You need to find a way to interest him find a game he enjoys, a new walk he enjoys , give him something to sniff, to explore, and be a dog again.

By the way if this is new behaviour then you should consult a vet to make sure that there is nothing else going on to make him feel this way.
Ozzy doesn’t like to play with traditional dog toys. But anything that involves food interests him. I will try to look up stimulation games.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I suppose there is a reason why your mom cannot be the one to walk him every day. But if that were possible, or possible some times maybe that would at least get him started. Then you walk along with your mom with him for a while, and then see if after doing this for a couple of weeks he will walk with you if your mom starts the walk and then just fades away.

See if you can interest him in hide and seek, with the hidden thing being a low calorie treat.
You could use charlie bears for treats. They are not all that great, but they are only 1 calorie each.

·
Administrator
867 Posts
Also with those games, I am trying to get my dog to eat less since he is a fatty. Im assuming if he has to work for it he won‘t gain that much weight. We also give him a low fat healthy diet.
That's the point - instead of just putting his food in a bowl, put it in a treat dispenser, or use it up in the games, so he's actually moving around and getting fed at the same time - not just standing there, wolfing the food down and tearing up paper because he's bored. ;)

And playing these games with him help build his trust in you, so that he's more likely to be willing to walk with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts