Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading reviews on flea products and one reviewer started that he puts pieces of a flea collar in a vacuum to help control the flea population post vacuuming. Im not sure how this would work but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if and how it works. Thanks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I haven't, but it sounds like it could be a good idea. I'm quite fastidious when it comes to flea control, but I can't see how this would hurt as a back up.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
From what I understand about flea killing collars is that they eventually 'coat' a dog with a residue and that repels/kills fleas.

I'm not so sure putting on in a vacuum and letting it spew those poisonous particles into the air would be such a good idea.... ??? Seems like things you wouldn't want a poison on or near could get contaminated...like the filter for a fish tank, or even a bird that grooms it's self...or a cat or even a small child. It probably wouldn't be a lot, but it would be just another contaminant that a person might not want to be exposed to.

Just my 2 cents,

Stormy

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I read this article
Best Methods to Control Fleas on My Pet and in My House

Then I read this one
Flea Problems: Flea Removal and Treating Fleas

The first is written by a vet who says to put a flea collar in the vacuum bag. The second is written by Drs Foster & Smith Educational Staff and it say to not put the flea collar in the vacuum bag since toxic fumes could build up. I've also read a few studies that say vacuuming kills fleas and larvae but does not say if it also kills any eggs that may be sucked up. I think if I was going to vacuum to remove fleas I'd play it safe, I'd vacuum then discard the bag in a tied plastic bag, or in my case empty my vacuum's canister into a plastic bag right after vacuuming and discard the bag.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Flea collars can be really bad news. I watched an episode of "Marketplace" where they put phosphorescent powder in a flea collar instead of the strychnine and after a day or two it was everywhere... The parent's clothes, the kid's toys, the couch, the beds. Not good!

I can confirm though that fastidious vacuuming during infestation as well as flea treatments (like Frontline) can keep fleas away quite effectively.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My vet suggested putting a piece of a flea collar in the vacuum bag years ago (safer than putting them on the dog or cat). I've also sprinkled flea powder (or more recently diatomaceous earth) in a spot on the carpet prior to vacuuming to get some in the bag.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It will depend on the type of collar.

My understanding a collar such as the Seresto is that it will only be activated when on the pet, so totally useless in a vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It will depend on the type of collar.

My understanding a collar such as the Seresto is that it will only be activated when on the pet, so totally useless in a vacuum cleaner.
True. I used the old, cheap Hartz (or similar) ones from the grocery store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Using flea collar to control the pest is a fine option. But if your dog is in regular contact with children and other dogs, the medication in the collar can be dangerous. There are chances that children may touch the collar and put their finger in mouth and eyes, or other dogs may lick or bite the collar. I say this because I read in an article that some collars may contain Tetrachlorvinphos which is considered as neurotoxin. So I think you can use something like vacuum cleaners instead of flea collar. If you prefer vacuum cleaner, you can just go through this article which i found online https://www.the-vacmaster.ca/blog/vacuum-tips/the-best-vacuum-for-people-with-pets/
This article had some useful informations on how to select vacuums for pets. Hope you find it useful.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I wouldn't. All it will do is blow toxins back into the air. If nothing else, when you dump the dust cup/bag, those particals will be coming right back out to some degree for you to inhale. Even if it's just a little bit. It just doesn't sound like a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.