Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone feed this? Turns out my puppy has a grain allergy, been on a search for a grain free food that doesn’t have peas or lentils listed in the first five ingredients. This was the best I could find, has food reviews.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What kind of grain is your dog allergic to? If you could narrow it down, you could open your options a bit.

Those formulas have pea starch as 4th ingredient and I would be wary of that as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure which grains. I was going to do an allergy test but it’s expensive and I can’t afford it right now cause my other dog is getting chemo treatments.

I saw the pea start chemo but I figured it was listed at number four. Everything else had more then one pea, lentil type thing in the first five.
So frustrating trying to find a new food!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I really like Purina Pro Plan. I highly recommend you try the pro plan sensitive skin and tummy formula with grains first and see if that helps. Sometimes the added enzymes help break down foods better and lead to less of a reaction in sensitive dogs, a lot of people have great success on this food! The company also does extensive research which is great. I don’t love that any of the formulas (mostly just grain free ones) have pea product in the food but at least it isn’t whole peas, just pea starch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I personally would stay away from Purina, it contains by products (anything from feet, beaks, hooves, dead, dying, or diseases animals). Also, depending on which purina it can contain corn, wheat, and soy too! None of these are easily digestible for dogs.

I work at a holistic pet store that focuses on healing animals bodies from the inside out. I work with multiple brands of dog foods a day doing tons of research.

I assume you are looking for recipes without lentils and peas because of the FDA report? I have read the whole FDA report and I highly encourage everyone else too. It cannot make a link between diet and DCM. They also left out many factors like the price of the test; only those who can afford it feed high end kibble recipes for their dogs. Also, it depends on breed and genetics; some dogs are more likely to develop DCM just based on their genetics.

One thing the article talks about is the fact that taurine gets cooked out of kibble. It is an essential amino acid that both cats and dogs need to support their cardiovascular system, immune system, and eye health. This amino acid is very sensitive to heat. So with a cooked food like kibble, the amino acid isn’t available.

I link the problem to a kibble issue. Since kibble has been available for about 100 years now. Its the most convenient but hardest thing for our dogs to digest.

Purina, Royal Canin, and Science Diet do have tons of research behind them! Yes I can agree with that. However, so does Gatorade. I remember when there was a huge push for Gatorade. There was tons of science research behind it. However, Gatorade isn’t the greatest thing for you and you can receive those electrolytes from drinking water or an electrolyte powder. Gatorade has such high levels of sodium and sugar which is not healthy at all. So, that’s kinda what all these dog food brands are doing too.

I use to feed my dogs purina back during the huge hype on it. Then us pet owners got smarter and started looking into what we are feeding. Now these brands want their customers back.

The FDA made a mistake releasing that article. As, they can not find any sort of result form grain free food and DCM: hint because it’s a kibble problem instead. There are multiple factors that the article left out. And at the bottom of the article it says the results are inconclusive.

These brands sponsor these studies which leads to very bias results. So, their brands look great until you check the ingredients.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts