Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one do you think is better? They are both about the same price, so I can't decide which one I want to feed. If you have another suggestion that is priced the same, that would be great as well, however, suggesting something that's more expensive is useless to me.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm no expert on kibble, but if it were me I don't think I would feed either one. Purina is just low quality period, and, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think NB even has anything even meat related very high on the ingredient list. It grains are the first things listed.

I would look for maybe some Taste Of The Wild. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost any more, and has much better ingredients. If you cant find that, then I would at least look for something else affordable, with meat being the first ingredient listed.

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
Okay, I looked up the price on chewy.com

I wouldn't feed Purina at all.

Natural Balance costs about $50 for a 26 lb bag on chewy.com and is about a 3.5 star dog food (depending on which type you're feeding)

I agree with @naturalfeddogs and think you should go with Taste of the Wild. It's a better food and it's about $45 for a 30 lb bag on Chewy, making it less expensive.

I recently signed up for the autoship with Chewy and it makes the food even less expensive.

I'm in the process of switching my girl over to http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/dog-food-formulas/grain-free-holistic/primitive-natural which is around the same price as the Natural Balance. I was feeding Wellness CORE but I was concerned about some recalls I read about. Earthborn has had no recalls.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The price range for those foods is generally $25-$40, with $40 being the highest end I would go. As I already stated, I will not pay more than that price range for food, and really don't plan on spending more than $35.

And as a side note, my family dogs have been on Purina their whole lives and have done wonderfully on it, so I completely disagree with it being a terrible food. I'm moving out with my personal dog and I'm just looking into other foods that are a similar price and might be better.

Honestly, Diamond has had so many serious pet food recalls, that they weren't even on my radar at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
$25-$40 for what size bag? The prices that I listed were for a large bag. Buying a larger bag at a slightly higher price is typically cheaper in the long run.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind about what you want to feed your dog so I guess I don't understand your question.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Tractor Supply has 4Health for $37/35 lbs. You can get an online coupon from their site right now, $5 off $25, $10 off $50 that will help a little. Interestingly it is a 4 star food. I've used it for my dogs.

Salmon, Ocean Fish Meal, Potatoes, Peas, Cracked Pearled Barley, Egg Product, Millet, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Kelp, Carrots, Apples, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Spinach, Cranberries, Rosemary Extract, Parsley Flake, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Reuteri Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.

I would not feed Purina, I'm not going to spend my money on corn.

purina dog chow ingredients

Whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn gluten meal, meat and bone meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, barley, whole grain wheat, animal digest, calcium carbonate, salt, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline ...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The price range for those foods is generally $25-$40, with $40 being the highest end I would go. As I already stated, I will not pay more than that price range for food, and really don't plan on spending more than $35.

And as a side note, my family dogs have been on Purina their whole lives and have done wonderfully on it, so I completely disagree with it being a terrible food. I'm moving out with my personal dog and I'm just looking into other foods that are a similar price and might be better.

Honestly, Diamond has had so many serious pet food recalls, that they weren't even on my radar at all.
I understand what you are saying, my family always swore by Purina, and still do. When I was still feeding kibble, I got away from purina and fed foods with better, higher quality ingredients with much less in the way of fillers. They also had actual meat as first ingredients, and the difference I ended up seeing was crazy. I realized then that our dogs weren't doing as well as I had thought. I also am able to now visually see issues in my parents dogs, that they can't. Better higher quality ingredients do make an overall difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$25-$40 for what size bag? The prices that I listed were for a large bag. Buying a larger bag at a slightly higher price is typically cheaper in the long run.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind about what you want to feed your dog so I guess I don't understand your question.
26 - 30lb bags

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If I only had those 2 to choose from then I'd go with Natural Balance...hesitatingly.

May I ask what size of dog you have? How much you feed per day? If you feed a higher quality food you do wind up feeding less which means spending less on dog food. Higher quality food also helps with digestion, which means less output to worry about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I only had those 2 to choose from then I'd go with Natural Balance...hesitatingly.

May I ask what size of dog you have? How much you feed per day? If you feed a higher quality food you do wind up feeding less which means spending less on dog food. Higher quality food also helps with digestion, which means less output to worry about.
50 lb Aussie, he gets 1 1/2 cups twice a day

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm no expert on kibble, but if it were me I don't think I would feed either one. Purina is just low quality period, and, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think NB even has anything even meat related very high on the ingredient list. It grains are the first things listed.

I would look for maybe some Taste Of The Wild. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost any more, and has much better ingredients. If you cant find that, then I would at least look for something else affordable, with meat being the first ingredient listed.
I might be late in commenting but here goes anyways...

Puirina is one of a few cheap brands sold in supermarkets or a Wal Mart. Greasy (or has been). Just like Pedigree. Alpo.

NB...IIRC is (or was) owned by ex-actor **** Van Patten of "8 is Enough" fame. Some where along the way really got interested in dogs and chose to get in the dog food business. Odd choice of income after acting but I guess it does pay the bills and IS selling well enough to be around for I think over 10 years now.

Quality is I'd say between cheap greasy brands (e.g. Purina, Alpo...) and higher-end brands like Wellness.

Is there any reason the OP is (or was) looking at those two brands specifically? And not a few other brands like Blue Buffalo, Wellness..sold at Pet Smart.

How about taking a look at what specialty pet food/accessory shops sell. Mom/pop shops. That might carry better quality (if sometimes expensive) brands.

I'm feeding my 3 month (and a few weeks) old Pug puppy TLC brand. Which you must order from them directly. Quality ingredients. And they offer free home delivery in the US/Canada. Price is between middle-of the road to hi-end. in other words, priced fair for the quality offered.

Dog foods in general...everything is great when you've found a brand you trust till they change one key ingredient that affects taste. :) Then you're off looking for a new brand your dog loves. :) Happens every few years with most manufacturers. Can't say "all".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I might be late in commenting but here goes anyways...

Puirina is one of a few cheap brands sold in supermarkets or a Wal Mart. Greasy (or has been). Just like Pedigree. Alpo.

NB...IIRC is (or was) owned by ex-actor **** Van Patten of "8 is Enough" fame. Some where along the way really got interested in dogs and chose to get in the dog food business. Odd choice of income after acting but I guess it does pay the bills and IS selling well enough to be around for I think over 10 years now.

Quality is I'd say between cheap greasy brands (e.g. Purina, Alpo...) and higher-end brands like Wellness.

Is there any reason the OP is (or was) looking at those two brands specifically? And not a few other brands like Blue Buffalo, Wellness..sold at Pet Smart.

How about taking a look at what specialty pet food/accessory shops sell. Mom/pop shops. That might carry better quality (if sometimes expensive) brands.

I'm feeding my 3 month (and a few weeks) old Pug puppy TLC brand. Which you must order from them directly. Quality ingredients. And they offer free home delivery in the US/Canada. Price is between middle-of the road to hi-end. in other words, priced fair for the quality offered.

Dog foods in general...everything is great when you've found a brand you trust till they change one key ingredient that affects taste. :) Then you're off looking for a new brand your dog loves. :) Happens every few years with most manufacturers. Can't say "all".

I was just looking at those two because I know they're around what I'm willing to pay (not going to spend more than $40 on a 26-30lb bag).
I don't really trust Blue much because of their quality control methods and some reports I've seen about them. And Diamond has had so many recalls for various reasons, I'm not really into the idea of feeding that, either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm with you on Purina not being a "terrible" food. For over 13 years I have fed multiple dogs a very wide variety of commercial and home made diets including Orijen, Natural Balance, Wysong, Wellness, Holistic Select, Merrick, Dave's, Canidae, Evo et al, as well as raw meaty bones, frozen pre-made raw, and cooked home made. I have had the most consistent results with Pro Plan Sport Performance. It is the only dry food I feed my two year old very active extremely healthy terrier although she gets the occasional egg, sardine, canned or frozen raw along with it.

When my vet saw Emma for the first time he said, "Whatever you're doing keep doing it."

PP is the *only* food that I have ever fed that produces consistently tight *tiny* stools. I'm certain that most of the people who criticize PP have never fed it and believe you can compare diets by what's printed on their labels.

All that said, I would not feed Purina One if I could get either Pro Plan Sport or Focus. I think the soy based shreds in Purina One and Pro Plan Savor are a gimmick (although I don't think they're harmful and some dogs love them). The Sport and Focus lines are regular kibble. Chewy sells Pro Plan Sport's largest 37.5 lb bag for just about $40 with free shipping for orders over $49. Pro Plan is over priced at Petco and Petsmart but I'm sure there are some feed stores or independent stores who sell it for ~$1 a pound.

I used to like Natural Balance but it has changed hands a couple of times in the past few years and is now owned by Smucker, the jelly and jam people. I have more confidence in the 400 veterinary nutritionists and food scientists who have been developing Purina products for decades.

Does Purina use the least expensive ingredients possible to meet their nutritional profiles? I'm sure they do but thousands of serious breeders and hunters have fed Pro Plan to millions of dogs over many many years and they probably know something the dentist who runs dogfoodadvisor.com doesn't.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I actually plan to move away from Purina. When we got Nintendo, who is a Lab/Newfie mix, I started researching his breed combination and each stressed the importance of a quality large breed dog food since Newfies grow really big, really fast. I want to minimize his risks and severity of any potential issues with joint dysplasia. So after this bag is done, I plan to start Advantage Large Breed Puppy food. It's 4 star food and very affordable at PetSmart. I'm looking at a $32 price tag on a 34 lbs bag. Not too expensive and while there is corn in this kibble, it's not the main ingredient. I would give better if I could afford more, but even this is stretching it. But I do wanna start giving better food. Purina has way too many recalls and lawsuits against them for me to feel comfortable feeding it to my puppies. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I actually plan to move away from Purina. When we got Nintendo, who is a Lab/Newfie mix, I started researching his breed combination and each stressed the importance of a quality large breed dog food since Newfies grow really big, really fast. I want to minimize his risks and severity of any potential issues with joint dysplasia. So after this bag is done, I plan to start Advantage Large Breed Puppy food. It's 4 star food and very affordable at PetSmart. I'm looking at a $32 price tag on a 34 lbs bag. Not too expensive and while there is corn in this kibble, it's not the main ingredient. I would give better if I could afford more, but even this is stretching it. But I do wanna start giving better food. Purina has way too many recalls and lawsuits against them for me to feel comfortable feeding it to my puppies. :(
Actually Purina dog food has *never* been recalled. The only recalls for a number of years were for Beyond cat food and Waggin' Tails treats. The class action lawsuit against Beneful in the US was dropped by the plaintiffs because they were unable to prove that the food made their dogs sick. In Canada a similar action was dismissed for lack of evidence. Of course you should feed whatever you like but you are incorrect about Purina.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually Purina dog food has *never* been recalled. The class action lawsuit against Beneful in the US was dropped by the plaintiffs because they were unable to prove that the food made their dogs sick. In Canada a similar action was dismissed for lack of evidence. Of course you should feed whatever you like but you are incorrect about Purina.
Posted via Mobile Device
I should have said that Pro Plan dry food has never been recalled. There was a Purina One recall in 2013 and a Pro Plan wet food recall more recently. The facts about the lawsuits, again nothing to do with Pro Plan, are accurate.

(BTW, I would have preferred to have edited my original post but I don't see that option. Am I missing something? :ponder:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm with you on Purina not being a "terrible" food. For over 13 years I have fed multiple dogs a very wide variety of commercial and home made diets including Orijen, Natural Balance, Wysong, Wellness, Holistic Select, Merrick, Dave's, Canidae, Evo et al, as well as raw meaty bones, frozen pre-made raw, and cooked home made. I have had the most consistent results with Pro Plan Sport Performance. It is the only dry food I feed my two year old very active extremely healthy terrier although she gets the occasional egg, sardine, canned or frozen raw along with it.
Currently not feeding commercial food and have no plans on going back, but by far, the worst foods I ever used were the "holistic" ones, with the sole exception of Chicken Soup cat food. Canidae, Merrick, Nutro Ultra, Wellness Core - just to name a few of the disasters. Timberwolf Organics, at $85 a bag, belongs in a category of its own. Absolute worst garbage I ever fed, that caused an immediate and drastic personality change in my then 7yo Shepherd mix.

OTOH, while I've been doing raw for years, I was also supplementing during the years I was actively breeding, and Purina ONE L&R was one of the best brands I ever used, results wise. I even raised a litter on Puppy Chow one time, right before they had an ingredient overhaul, and let me tell you. Those pups were in absolutely perfect condition. Coats, weight and muscle tone were just striking. That and Eukanuba were my mainstay commercial food supplements, because based on ingredients alone, the foods that looked best on paper always gave the worst results.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts