Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So I just got this Aussie puppy, Piper. One of her parents is a registered mini Aussie and the other is a registered standard Aussie. Does this make her a purebred or a cross? Also, could I potentially register her since both of her parents are registered?
Thank you for any and all help that I get!
Dog Carnivore Wood Dog breed Floor

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You cannot register her with the AKC or ASCA, at least as far as I knew from the past. Especially since Minitiature American Shepherd is the/a official name, but are called mini Aussies because of politics and et cetera. Or were you thinking of a different registry?

As for her being purebred, and how you define that...depends. But, an Aussie is an Aussie, though it depends on how the mini parent came to be genetically. Was it by consistently breeding small aussies (which working aussies have no weight limitations), or was it by breeding in toy breeds? Folks who purposely breed dogs with big weight differences are almost always sketchy...so who knows what is further back in her parents' genetics.

But welcome to you and Piper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You cannot register her with the AKC or ASCA, at least as far as I knew from the past. Especially since Minitiature American Shepherd is the/a official name, but are called mini Aussies because of politics and et cetera. Or were you thinking of a different registry?

As for her being purebred, and how you define that...depends. But, an Aussie is an Aussie, though it depends on how the mini parent came to be genetically. Was it by consistently breeding small aussies (which working aussies have no weight limitations), or was it by breeding in toy breeds? Folks who purposely breed dogs with big weight differences are almost always sketchy...so who knows what is further back in her parents' genetics.

But welcome to you and Piper.
Those were the ones I was thinking of. Thank you for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts