Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I was playing with Avant, my puppy. While playing catch with him, we went to retrieve his chew toy and he suddenly flinched and jumped back. I thought he saw a bug of something. He looked at me confused. Then I saw a little dot of blood on the floor with something white. Turns out his tooth came off!! I totally freaked out. I'm not sure if it's his vigorous chewing or bumping into the toy too hard when he went to catch it. You reckon that might be his milk tooth coming out? Does it hurt the puppy? There was blood on the tooth but I didn't see any dripping out of his mouth. Also being 4 months old, he won't let me part his mouth to look inside. He seemed rather normal after, biting on his chew toy. But before I left for work, he did bark a bit more than normal. I'm just a bit worried. Can that gap/wound get infected?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Puppies lose their baby teeth just as humans do. 4 months is the right time for it to start happening, so don't be alarmed if you see them coming out. If you're the kind of person that likes to save stuff like baby teeth then you should hang on to this one... usually you won't find them! I think most of the time they come out uneventfully and get swallowed during eating or something, but sometimes they will get pulled out a little early when they're loose.

You do need to work on allowing the dog to let you look at his mouth This will save you a heck of a lot of problems down the line... help you retrieve an item the puppy shouldn't have, brush his teeth, examine his mouth for signs of injury, and so you can make sure all of his teeth are coming out normally. Your vet will certainly appreciate it as well come examination time! Retained puppy teeth can be an issue, so you'll want to examine regularly to make sure they're all coming out normally. My pup retained his puppy canines after his adults had already come in so we had to get them removed. He did look funny for awhile with two sets of fangs!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puppies lose their baby teeth just as humans do. 4 months is the right time for it to start happening, so don't be alarmed if you see them coming out. If you're the kind of person that likes to save stuff like baby teeth then you should hang on to this one... usually you won't find them! I think most of the time they come out uneventfully and get swallowed during eating or something, but sometimes they will get pulled out a little early when they're loose.

You do need to work on allowing the dog to let you look at his mouth This will save you a heck of a lot of problems down the line... help you retrieve an item the puppy shouldn't have, brush his teeth, examine his mouth for signs of injury, and so you can make sure all of his teeth are coming out normally. Your vet will certainly appreciate it as well come examination time! Retained puppy teeth can be an issue, so you'll want to examine regularly to make sure they're all coming out normally. My pup retained his puppy canines after his adults had already come in so we had to get them removed. He did look funny for awhile with two sets of fangs!
Thanks for your assurance! Yeah, I'm trying to gain his trust right now. Slowly working my way through with him by having him let me touch his face, muzzle, nose etc. He's getting there with the eyes part as I have to clean out his eye dirt every now and again. The mouth part is kinda hard. He really struggles!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
And feel very fortunate that they are falling out.

I had one dog, Shilo, who's adult teeth grew in right behind her puppy teeth (mostly on the bottom, in front part of her mouth).
The puppy teeth didn't fall out like they should have. She had a mouth that looked like one of those photos of a shark's mouth. :p

I had to have the vet put her under and pull her puppy teeth. She said the puppy teeth were still in there rather firmly too. So, it cost me some money to fix that little issue.

Stormy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And feel very fortunate that they are falling out.

I had one dog, Shilo, who's adult teeth grew in right behind her puppy teeth (mostly on the bottom, in front part of her mouth).
The puppy teeth didn't fall out like they should have. She had a mouth that looked like one of those photos of a shark's mouth. :p

I had to have the vet put her under and pull her puppy teeth. She said the puppy teeth were still in there rather firmly too. So, it cost me some money to fix that little issue.

Stormy
Yikes! Sounds like a lot of work.

Just to confirm, the pic is a tooth, right? Not a nail? We were really confused yesterday wondering if he indeed broke his nail or if that is his milk tooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well, an easy way to confirm that it's not a nail is to check out his nails :p If they're all there that isn't an issue. Plus, if a nail did get broken off then there would probably be a ton of blood involved. You should be checking his nails regularly to ensure that they don't need to be trimmed. Too long nails is a huge pet peeve of mine and super uncomfortable for the dog! I did have a nail get pulled off of my cat once...

Either way, that does look like a tooth. Sounds like normal puppy stuff going on with him!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks +duckdodgers. He didn't seem very troubled by it so I guess it's all good. We tried to trim his paw fur a couple of days ago. He's not really willing to sit still yet. Trying to make him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts