Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Boston Terrier is a little over a year now. If he sees another dog or person when we are out walking or anything, he starts screaming and we can't get him to stop. The only time he doesn't scream in those situations is if the dogs or people acknowledge him and give him attention. Not only is it embarrassing but I'm worried that people will think my little guy is mean.

I've read articles about removing your dog from the situation and praising him when he is quiet but I don't understand how that solves anything. To me, that's not fixing anything. It's just avoiding the situation.

Please help. We just moved to a new neighborhood and our next door neighbors have a puppy pug and I'm afraid my little guy has come off as mean or that we are bad parents. :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
You need to get him obedient to your voice and commands. When he starts screaming correct him with a pull on the leash sideways.

The best thing you can do is to take him to training classes so he gets a chance to interact with other dogs and you learn control.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
So he's not afraid, just a frustrated greeter?

I really like the BAT 2.0 program by Grisha Stewart. It is mainly aimed at fearful dogs, but there's an exercise called Mark and Move that I think you would find helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts