Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, I am a new member writing from Montreal, Quebec!!
thank you in advance for reading this, not sure exactly how this forum works but hubby and I hope we'll get answers and suggestions to our problem;

we 'inherited' a 2 and half month teckel (mom-in-law bought it and had it 3 weeks and found it too much trouble) He is a good puppy, we have no trouble with house training; we DO have a problem with sleeping during the night; he wakes up at around 1:30 am, starts crying then goes into full barking mode (what a voice) and wakes the entire household - we can't take it much more as we all work during the day, so we have to sleep!!!! He sleep in his transport cage with hot water bottle rapped in blanket - last night I added a ticking alarm clock and we let him bark for over 2 hours, didn't work. We are thinking of bringing hin the bedroom with us, not necessarily in our bed, but maybe at foot of the bed.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated - and sorry

Attachments

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
He needs to go potty! He's still very young and cannot comfortably "hold it" all night long. He's telling you to please take him outside!

Yes, I encourage you to have him in his cage in your bedroom, so he can feel secure near you. Then when he wakes in the middle of the night, you will hear him and you can take him out for a quick potty break. Put him back to bed with a small treat and turn the light off and everyone goes back to sleep!

Here's a great puppy book I always recommend
Amazon.com: puppy primer

And most of all, welcome to the forum! We love to help out folks and puppies are my personal favorite topic! Check out the puppy forum threads for great ideas. Check out the "training videos" thread.
Check out this Youtube link for terrific training suggestions.

YouTube - kikopup's Channel

Most of all, hang out with us here and keep asking questions and learning new things. You won't believe what a great relationship you can have with your puppy dog the more you learn!

·
Registered
309 Posts
He's absolutely gorgeous!!!

I agree with Tess. Have him in your room, in his cage, and take him out for toilet breaks when he wakes. He'll soon start sleeping more.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Tess said it all - he isn't ready to sleep through the night yet (part of the joys of having a puppy). Definitely, bring him closer and provide him your comfort and you'll see him settle in better for sleeping (vs the hours of crying) and you'll be better able to respond to his needs to go out during the night.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Just to throw this in... If he really needs to go out in the middle of the night an he doesn't you run the risk of breaking the kennel is not for bathroom. Making house breaking MUCH harder. Also, leaving him to bark is only going to succeed in teaching that when he cries for help, your not going to be there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello and thank you all for your help; we hope this night will go better ; we arranged the bedroom accordingly; I'll keep you posted!

S.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I recall correctly, you can generally guestimate the length of time a puppy can hold their potty by multiplying their age in months times two. So your pup will only be able to hold it for about 4 hours, max. This varies from breed to breed, particularly in regards to small dogs, so Google that info first. Even that threshold shouldn't be pushed. 2-3 hours is better. This issue will quickly go away on its own as your puppy gets older.

Especially when going to a new home, puppies can get very nervous and upset. When I picked a puppy up, I brought her to bed with me and my wife. When the puppy started to move around restlessly, it was potty time. We bought some of those large puppy pads, and put that down between our pillows to provide a sleeping area for the puppy that would reassure the pup, catch any accidental squirts, and still be comfortable.

You may not want to go this route, but I'd highly advise against trying to leave the puppy in their crate until he stops barking. He's trying to tell you something is wrong. Dogs will instinctively not potty where they sleep and eat, which is why crates are so good for use as training aids. But there is only so long he can hold it, and then he'll go wherever he is. You really don't want him getting used to sleeping in his refuse, as this is very bad for his health, and makes house training a nightmare.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I prefer having dogs/pups in their own room in a crate, but that's just me. go purchase some ear plugs as that could help with problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts