Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been teaching the "leave it" command to our vacuum cleaner 9 mo. old puppy since he came to us at 8 weeks. We've had 4 different trainers try to help us with this to no avail. He will leave it if we are there to give the command but if we don't see him go after something he'll pick it up. This is true for leaves, stones, wood mulch, kleenex, etc. Two major problems are that at his doggie daycare the play area is mulched and if noone sees him pick up the object he could choke and eating leaves out on our deck. Also, he will listen to the "drop it" command when playing fetch but if he picks something up off the ground he locks on and we have to pry it out of his mouth. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
You'll def need to manage and supervise closely to prevent him from picking up stuff. Also I would suggest working on impulse control type exercises to teach more of a "default leave it".

I can't give more details atm from my phone but there is an impulse control thread in the training and behavior sticky subforum. Also I'm sure others will be happy to give more tips and advice. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have been working on impulse control exercises from the day he came to us. He's a very high energy puppy and we've finally had success with reactivity, jumping, barking and such after hiring a private behavior trainer. The only thing Charlie is still stubborn about is his vacuum cleaner behavior. We can't be with him at daycare which has been a necessity and a lifesaver for him. However, I can't expect someone to watch just him while the puppies are outside playing. Short of putting a basket muzzle on him when he's outside at daycare we have no idea what to do next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.