Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a four month old Shepherd/Lab mix last night. She has spent her whole life in a rescue. I am prepared to give her time to adapt and accept this is not temporary. However, I don't want to encourage bad habits. She currently hates her leash and refuses to move. I don't want to drag her outside but I also don't want her to think I will carry her everywhere forever. This is my first puppy. I have always adopted older dogs and I am worried that I am screwing up. Help?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's very normal for puppies to do this. It takes them time to learn that they're connected to you, and they can still move! And remember, she was in a shelter. It's a big, unfamiliar world out there for her!

Bring some treats out for her. Get down on the ground and show her the treat. Lure her to walk with the treat. Give her rewards for walking along with you. Do that for a while as you walk, it will be no time before she realizes how the leash works and you won't need to do this anymore.

·
Super Moderator
626 Posts
Also, when you try to take her for a walk, don't expect the first few times to be like proper walks - you may not get anywhere as everything is so new and different. So think of it more like a training exercise, if you get 20 meters today, aim for 25 tomorrow.

Some photos would be lovely when you get the chance.

·
Super Moderator
626 Posts
It also occurred to me, she will probably be quite stressed. Cortisol (the stress gormone) can take up to 72 hours to dissipate in an adult - I don't know about puppies - so if you can spend a couple of days just getting her comfortable in the house and garden, things should get easier after that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts