Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 month old pomsky that I've had since 8 weeks of age. We still have a few house training issues with her, particularly around bath time, but for the most part she has no problem doing her business outside for me. However, my partner, who has lived with us for about 5 months now, cannot get her to go outside for him. He will take her out several times within the hour, wait with her for ages, but all she wants to do is play and eat grass. As soon as he lets her in, she pees or poops somewhere, and while he cleans that mess, she pees or poops elsewhere. She's even pooped in his backpack when his back was turned (which meant she had to climb into an armchair to specifically poop there). This isn't a problem that I've had with her, and it seems to only happen to him when I'm not around. I know she has separation anxiety when I'm not there, and I'm not sure if her thunder jacket actually helps at all. She's just really high strung (duh, she's a puppy and a pomsky at that), and it's really straining my boyfriend who already has a lot of other stressors in his life right now. Any ideas? I keep telling him that he needs to build a better relationship with her, but all of her accidents are just making him hate her.

·
Registered
93 Posts
She can probably sense his stress level and doesn't feel comfortable eliminating in front of him. How long are you gone for? For starters, if just an hour or two, why don't you just crate her when you are gone. Why should your friend have to spend so much time waiting - and then cleaning up after her? In the meantime, every time you take her out - he should go out with you; engage in light discussion and don't pay much attention to the pup. When she goes, have your BF praise her and give her a treat.

·
Super Moderator
375 Posts
Has your partner ever been cross with her for toileting indoors? That can make dogs reluctant to toilet in front of a person - the dog doesn't understand the difference between someone being annoyed at them toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors, so they become reluctant to do their business when that person is there. Or, they wait for / create an opportunity to toilet when the person is in another room. He may not even have scolded her or anything, dogs are so tuned to our body language that a sigh, an eye roll or even a slump of his shoulders might have been enough to register. Hard as it is, indoor accidents should be given no reaction at all - just clean up with an enzymatic cleaner.

And as toilet training "clicks" when the dog wants to hold her toilet enough to earn the reward she gets for doing it in the right place, be generous with the reward when she does go outside. And deliver it immediately so she realises it isn't for toileting and not for anything else such as coming to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
He needs to allow time for the pup to need to go. A dog that age should only be going out every half an hour. It's important that your so doesn't watch her, waiting. Maybe if he did an activity outside, it would show the dog that he's not there to watch her avoid going to the toilet.

Their relationship needs some work; it sounds like she feels threatened by him and is scent marking, which isn't uncommon, even in females.

I'd recommend that he brings her out ever half hour, ignores her while they stay there for five minutes max. Then when he brings her back inside, keep the leash on her and ignore her. It might be easier for him to tie the leash around his waist. This way he can keep an eye on her, it's also a good opportunity for play and obedience training to strengthen their relationship. But he needs to almost go through the whole house training process all over again with her.

It shouldn't take more than a few weeks for her to figure it out. Beyond that, perhaps consider calling on a professional trainer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Puppies can be tough and I can understand why she might cause your boyfriend some stress. Moving in together is an adjustment for all of you and is especially hard for an adolescent dog. I think the previous comments were good suggestions. It really depends on how much effort your boyfriend is willing to put in. That's not a criticism. He may have a lot going on and constantly picking up pee and poop is not going to lower his stress level or make him like the dog.

The fact remains that if you want to live together in relative harmony, this needs to be dealt with. I know he's pretty annoyed with the dog at this point but ask him if he is willing to put in a solid effort for two weeks. Which, in the grand scheme, is a small investment for years(?) of peaceful coexistence. If you're all up for it, here's what I'd recommend:

For Two Weeks
  1. Boyfriend hand feeds her every meal. Only takes a couple minutes and he could even train her a little if he feels like it.
  2. All good things come from your boyfriend (playtime, treats, new toys, walks). You should more or less ignore her. Giving her the space to build a relationship with someone else will help reduce her separation anxiety.
  3. Boyfriend takes her out for all bathroom breaks and immediately rewards her with a large amount of the highest value treat you have, one that only he gives to her. Hotdog, cheese, etc.
    1. For the first 3 bathroom trips, they stay outside until she goes, no matter how long. Currently, she won't eliminate around him which means he has no opportunities to reward her and show her he's a good guy. Start this on a day where your boyfriend has some free time. Perhaps you could have some high value boyfriend treats waiting to reward him when they are successful!
    2. After the first 3 trips if he doesn't have enough time to wait until she goes then, after 10 minutes of being outside, bring her back inside and put her in a confined area or crate until he takes her outside again.
I hope that helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts