Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 week old lab and ive been working on potty training her. For the most part she seems to be doing well. No accidents over night or while shes in the cage. What ive been doing is every couple of hours i take her out and she goes right away. However if i get busy or forget to take her out, shell go right on the floor. No barking, no going to the door, nothing. Now i do have puppy pads down, sometimes she goes on them some times she doesnt. What should my next step be to get her to alert me that she needs out? Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
The only way to get her to not have accidents is to find ways to remind yourself to let her out. It's not always up to the puppy to let their owner know when they need out (even though it is a nice bonus). It's our responsibility to teach them if that is what we want. My dog's don't alert too often, but I let them out regardless every 1-2 hours when i'm home.

Set an alarm clock for every couple of hours so you don't forget or loose track of time. I suggest letting her out a little more often (1.5 hours) so you can teach a cue just before exiting the door without having her bursting needing to go to the bathroom right then and there before making it outside. For example, if you want her to ring a bell, hang the bells at the door and get her to touch with her nose and go out the door right after and treat and praise.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dogs don't automatically alert their owners that they need to go out. Like timber said, you can teach your dog to alert you, although realize that they will then alert you not only when they need to pee, but also when they want outside to play, bark at a squirrel, go for a walk, etc. It can be very convenient if your dog "tells" you that they need to go, but it can also be a pain when you take them out thinking they need to pee when they actually just heard a squirrel or something :)

When I was potty training my dog, I'd get him to make some sort of noise (by making silly noises and getting him excited) before I opened the door. As soon as he made some type of noise, I'd praise him and open the door. He now gives a bark at the door when he needs to go (and sometimes when he doesn't…)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
501 Posts
You can train your pup to cue you when she needs to go out...google and youtube bell training. I had Pax trained to hit a bell with his nose when he needs to go out. There is a fine line however of training when they NEED to go out vs when they WANT to go out.

Unless you condition and train them to give you a cue, they will just do their business when they need to if you forget to let them out without any "cues". Remember in that situation, YOU should be punished for not letting her out, NOT the poor puppy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts