Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old female wire haired pointing griffon. I have had her for 2 months. On the first day I had her I got her from the airport where she was in a kennel and by the time I got home it was night so I didn't have time to crate train her so I just put her in there and went to bed. She has grown such a bond with my family and I that she has to constantly see us or touch us. Whenever we put her in her crate during dinner, she will start whining and barking and scratching to try and escape. Even if she sees that we are right there she will still bark. When we leave the house with her in the kennel, she barks non stop and tires herself out but refuses to go to sleep until we get home. Just yesterday she was in her crate during dinner and was breathing heavily and was freaking out. I almost wanted to take her out but I heared that going to a puppy when they cry is not good. We can't even leave our house for too long because when we get home her kennel is usually moved to the other side of the kitchen (because it is a carrier crate) and she pees in excitement. I have been trying to make her like her crate. Every time I put her in there I reward her and don't make a big deal about leaving and coming back but still doesn't seem to work. My goal is for her to be able to sleep outside my room during the night without her crying. Any tips?

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Ok id get some high value treats and throw in a few treats with a command ie inside then id progress to getting her to lie down etc. Also when she barks, gets upset go up to the crate wait till quiet throw a treat in say yes or click the clicker so she knows thats what is right and does she have a kong in there filled with for example peanut butter? the kong with peanut butter in really helped my Jessie with this issue! otherwise keep going up to crate when quiet treat her with a marker (yes!) throw treat or click the clicker. '

Doing that i learnt helps build their confidence

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.