Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on what might be going on with my 3 month old boxer Huck. He's at the vets at the moment for tests and i'm pretty worried as she has no idea what might be wrong with him.

On Thursday Huck didn't really seem himself, he was off his food, not drinking much and very lethargic. We'd taken him out for a walk in some woods on Monday and having googled his symptoms, I was definitely worried about early signs of parvo or distemper (he is fully vaccinated though). We let him rest and called our vet just to put our minds at rest - she told us to keep an eye on him and let her know if he started vomiting or anything. He was fine all night, slept a lot and I managed to syringe some water in to his mouth - although he was off his food, he still ate a bit of Schmacko like there was nothing better in the world!

Yesterday he was better, we took him for a walk and he had puppy milk and ate 2 meals, he was sick in the afternoon but I think that was because he'd snaffled a slice of cheese and that came back up whole within minutes. He seemed completely fine and back to his normal self.

This morning though, he's off his food again, no vomiting or diarrhea, very sleepy and wanted to just curl up and cuddle with me. His back is quite hunched over and he has gunk in the corner of his eyes and a very small amount of greeny yellow staining around his nose. He wouldn't even drink puppy milk and when I waved a schmacko near him he just licked it a couple of times, so something really must be bothering him.

But the vet is stumped, she gave him an examination and said that his hunched back is a sign of abdominal pain, but she can't feel any obstructions and he didn't make any noises or give any sign of where he might be in pain. She's kept him with her and will put him on a drip and do some x rays this afternoon.

So all in all we're quite worried - has anyone else had any experiences like this or have any idea what might be wrong with him?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Aimee

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I would consult a different vet if yours isn't able to figure out the problem. It sounds like he is in considerable discomfort and hunching his back to relieve pain in the abdomen area. I would be pushing to have x rays done ASAP to check for any blockages.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies!

He's at the vets right now and she will be x-raying him this afternoon, she wanted to get him on a drip first, before she puts him out, because we haven't seen him drink at all today. Whilst he's out she will be doing more in depth examinations - i've been reading about prostatitis? Some of the symptoms are lethargy, weakness, abdominal pain, loss of appetite and weight loss - our vet says he has lost 100pounds in a week and a half, obviously a puppy of his age should be putting on considerably, not losing! But I haven't seen him straining to pee and he doesn't have any discharge from his penis that i've seen...its so frustrating not knowing which direction to look in!

Also, is it possible he might have eaten a stone or something and it's somewhere she wouldn't be able to feel with an external exam? Although I haven't noticed him having trouble passing stools or not passing them at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've just heard from the vet and she's said he's perked up with IV fluids and his hunch has reduced so she's going to try him on some food to see if he keeps it down or passes a stool in the next few hours. If not or if he doesn't seem any better in the morning she'll x ray him then.

Personally, I think i'd like x rays done anyway, just to be sure but I'm happy that he seems more himself tonight - when the vet called he was playing with her little boy and had taken a shine to her labrador!

Fingers and toes crossed for him overnight!

·
Registered
677 Posts
how is he ? i wouldnt feel happy waiting for xrays and woul wan them done asap..hope he picks up soon x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Afternoon everyone, thanks so much for your replies, here is a quick update on poorly Huck.

He had X-rays this morning and the vet found a very large gas collection in his small intestine. She operated straight away thinking there was either a long foreign body blocking the entrance and exit or the intestine was sort of, sucking up on itself and concertina-ing up.

But after exploration, there was no foreign body and the gut wasn't squishing up on itself. During the op, poor old Huck shot out quite a lot of bad diarrhoea and the gut itself was clearly not working as it should. Instead of pulsing and contracting it was very sluggish and only twitching now and then, which explains why his food hasn't been digesting for the last 24 hours and just coming back up whole. The lymph nodes were very very large which the vet says indicates a nasty infection which has caused the gut to shut down as it cannot cope. She took a biopsy of the lymph nodes and swabbed the inside of the gut to send off to the lab to find out exactly what infection it is, if any.

So for now he is on a cocktail of antibiotics, fluids and a drug to get his gut to wake back up again. We popped by the vets to see him and he was very sleepy and floppy, but he was stable and the vet is hopeful that the antibiotics and other drugs will finish off the infection.

Our other pup, humphrey, has been given cautionary antibiotics just in case he's been exposed to the same infection.

So fingers crossed, Huck will be on the mend, but until he manages to keep food down and then pass it as well, we won't really know :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
Oh no, poor baby and poor you :(. keeping everything crossed for you that he makes a full recovery soon and is bright eyed and bushy tailed in no time xxx

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree with every one else, x rays should have been done right away. I hope they do them soon to make sure things look right. Did they do bloodwork?
Any updates? I hope he's on the mend.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
Oh no! I'm so sorry poor Huck has had to go through all of that and am praying he's on he mend now and that they figure out what is causing his problems. He's lucky to have such a caring, loving owner!

Hopefully Humphrey stays healthy and doesn't catch whatever it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The vet called and said he's up and about, he's been out in the yard with her lab and his spine is straight again. Hopefully the antibiotics are starting to work! She's going to feed him a very small amount of liquid food if he manages to keep down the water she's given him and see how he goes really.

Really, really hoping he's starting to be on the mend now, poor little thing :( thanks for all your continuing support!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
oh the poor pup! and poor you as well. hugs to you both. how awful but at least know what the problem is/was now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Huck is home! Considering he only had surgery yesterday he is a handful! He's on recovery food which is going down well, he's only been home a few hours so nothing has come out again yet, but fingers crossed it will soon.

He seems very bright and bouncy which is so lovely to see, his tummy wound is beautifully closed and looks well on its way to recovery - just have the task of keeping Humphrey from licking his brother's surgery site!

He's got antibiotics and a cocktail of other medications and a check up with the vet on wednesday - really hoping he's over the worst of it now.

Thanks so much for all your well wishes, we really appreciate the support :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts