Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 month old Lab Hound mix rescue puppy that we adopted in mid-December. He was doing great sleeping in the crate overnight with little crying and no accidents. Last week he had two accidents overnight before we were able to get him diagnosed with Giardia.

He is being treated now but during the time when we weren't sure what was causing the loose stools whenever he would wake up and cry for a longer than normal period I would take him out and allow him to sleep on his dog bed (also leashed to a table so he couldn't move about the room too much).

Now because of this when you put him in the crate at night he cries like crazy. We are able to ignore it long enough when he first goes in since he falls asleep after 10-15mins but he's been waking up around 3am and will cry until I usually give in and let him into his bed.

He is able to hold it all night now so my question is ... is it necessary for him to be in the crate any more? He is crated during the day while we are at work but since no one is home i'm not sure how exactly he is. I was thinking he might just be ok in a pen attached to his crate to allow him to walk around and be comfy but not run the risk of getting into anything.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here is what i did when mine was crying every other hour to "go out".

1)Feed dinner early. For us that was 4-5 PM.
2)Take up water after 8PM.
3)Take out to potty several times between 8-10:30 hopfully getting both bladder and bowel to empty.
4)DO NOT let the dog out if it cries.
5)Set an alarm clock for 2 or 3 AM to let him out to potty.
6)DO NOT let the dog out if it cries.
7)Set an alarm for 6 or 7 AM to let the dog out in the morning.

It sucked at first. We started this on a weekend becuase the first few days we got very little sleep. It got better within a few days and now she is very good in the crate and we no longer need to set the 2 AM alarm.

She did regress when we went on vacation over christmas where we let her out if she cried, being in a new place, becuase we didn't want her waking up the inlaws. It took a few days once we were back home of setting the 2 AM alarm and going back to the plan above for her to remember how it works.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think an ex-pen with his crate available to him is a great idea. I understand crates are wonderful tools and many dogs love them, but crated for a work day and then again at night might be a little too much. A crate + pen at least gives the pup some options. Worth a try at least.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts