Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need some advice
I have a 9 week old border collie puppy, got him two weeks ago.
When I took him home I took 10 days off from work to be with him and help him adjust to his new home. Everything is going great, I crate trained him from the first day, and slowly adjusted him to a crate schedule. Now He loves his crate and has stopped fuzzing when in the crate.
now I have to go back to work, I don’t want to leave him alone home all day in his crate..
My co worker has a puppy that is a little bit older (5-6 months) and he has been taking his puppy to work, and having him crated in his car. We work quite a flexible job so he is able to go check on him every 2 hours and taking him for a walk, giving him some love. He has been doing this since day one and it has been going great. we live in a rather cold climate so the temp here at this time of year is around 0-6 Celsius. My dog was born on a farm in a horse stable house, and spent the first 2 months of his life there. In a stable it has no heating so it’s a similar temp there as it is outside. His mom and dad are working dogs and the sleep in the horse stable and are outside all day.
So my thoughts are would it be okay if I took him to work with me and have him crated in the car while I work, and go check on him every 1-2 hours and take him for a walk and play. I work short days so my longest days at work would be around 6-7 hours, most often around 4-6 hours.
the alternative would be to leave him alone crated at home but my work is about 20 min drive from home so it would be rather hard to go and check on him while I work.,
So in my mind I think it’s better for him if I take him with me so he’s never alone for more then 1-2 hours at a time. This is also temporary, when he is a little older I will just leave him crated at home during the day. Currently he is crated at night, and that has been going really well, he sleeps through the whole night and he has never had an accident in the crate. When we wake up I make sure to give him plenty of exercise and play time before we leave for work. I’ve been taking him with me for a few days now and I’ve been checking on him about every 30-60 min and he’s always just sleeping, sometimes he is a wake and is chewing his chew toy. It’s been going great, and I think I’m the only one having a hard time adjusting to this because I worry about him and miss him while I’m working. Every time I check on him he is absolutely fine and relaxed, never whines or gets scared, he loves his crate and feels safe there.
I asked the breeder what he thought about this and he said he would be fine crated in the car for 1-2 hours at a time as long as the temperature isn’t below freezing and not above 10-15 C.
But I want to be absolutely sure that this is okay so some advice would be appreciated.
I know there is a stigma about leaving your dog in the car, but here a lot of people do it and it’s fine because the temp rarely goes over 15C , only during July or august.
as I said this is only until he’s around 5-6 months old,at that point he will be fine home alone I give him plenty of exercise and playtime before and after work. As I said it’s mainly me having a hard time with this because I love him so much and want to do right by him so Any advice that would calm my worrying mind would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Please don't get upset about me asking this, but are you sure you are prepared for a working line Border Collie? I just don't want you to get 6 to 8 months down the road and be seriously regretting your decision because your super smart, highly intelligent, dog is going stir crazy in it's crate for 6 hours out of the day.

If you know EXACTLY what you are getting into and enjoy agility, frisbee, trick training, hiking, etc. then I think you'll seriously enjoy your new pal, but if you don't and are like me something of a more laid back dog owner, I'd give the little guy back and look into a different breed. I not only wanted to get that out there for you, but for all of our lurkers.

To answer your question, around here I would not advise leaving your pup, in your car either loose, or crated, unattended, even if the weather was conductive for such things. You'd be liable to get your window broken by someone "saving", your dog, or the police called.

It's no ideal, is there anyway you could bring the puppy into your office and keep him in the crate there? That'd be best. Second best would be teaming up with your co-worker and and go on a rotating schedule, you one hour and your co-worker the next. Along with keeping a really good eye on the weather and where the sun is. Personally I'd not chance it, and would just hire a dog walker to come by and take him out after 3 hours. That along with tiring him out, before you leave for work, should be fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. i really appreciate it.
Yes I do realize that border collies require a lot of exercise and most importantly mental stimulation, and I under stand you completely asking me if I’m up for that.
I’ve been wanting a border collie for years because I wanted an active and smart dog, I really enjoy hiking and especially during the summer I’m really active, I go hunting and fishing a lot, and I will be taking him with me when he is a little older and can handle the exercise. I’ve been training him from day one and will continue to do so every day.
I will be taking him with me everywhere, my family has a summer cabin which a often visit, and he will be able (once trained to be off leash) to have complete freedom there.
I think/hope we will be good companions for each other.

thank you for the crafting advice, I will definitely keep that in mind going forward.
once he is reliably potty trained I won’t be crating him at night, only while I work just to keep him safe. I want to be careful not having him crated longer than he can handle so until he can hold it for 6 hours I will find a way to check on him to let him go potty and get a little exercise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts