Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our basset hound puppy, Bruce, since he was 8 weeks old. He's now 5 1/2 months and has recently started weeing indoors of a nighttime - this has been going on for about 3 weeks. We have no idea why this has started, he was always very good from day one with being house trained and we only had around one accident a week and now we are lucky to have one dry night a week. I have read elsewhere about changes to routine etc but there hasn't been a change as he never had a routine to begin with. I will take him to the vets if I feel something is seriously wrong, but didn't know if anyone else had experienced this and could give some tips? We have tried ignoring him and putting his nose in it - none of which has worked. This morning my mother took away his breakfast so not sure if that will work for him? It is becoming very stressful to have to clear up his wee every morning. I should also mention it is normally in the same place no matter what we wash the kitchen with. Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Taking away his breakfast, rubbing his nose in it, ignoring him or ANY other punishment is not going to work. Unless you catch him mid stream he is never going to put together the fact that you are punishing him for peeing in the house. What he will think is that you are punishing him for peeing and that he shouldn't pee in front of you.

What I would recommend is to set a routine. Feed him at the same times every day, take him out at the same times everyday, for a pup that's 5.5 months old your probably looking at every 2-3 hours. He should also go out shortly after drinking a lot of water, a play or training session, or a nap. Be consistent with this.

Every single time he pees or poops outside he should get praise and a treat, this should happen within a couple seconds after he's done peeing.

Additionally he should never be left unsupervised until you are 100% certain he will not go in the house. This means that you are either watching him like a hawk, he's in his crate or he's in a play pen/puppy proof room.

A 5.5 month old puppy should not be allowed free reign of the house at night. If he's confined to the kitchen over night and he's having accidents he simply can't hold it that long. Set an alarm and take him out in the middle of the night. Also you should restrict his water before bedtime, He shouldn't be eating or drinking within a 2-3 hours before bed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
5.5 months old is WAY too little to be in a big house at night. At his age he'd still be confined to his bed by a parent animal. Crate him or put him in a small room that makes him feel safe. Or use one of those baby play yards to fence off his bed.

I agree, taking away breakfast is just cruel. Dogs don't have a cause and affect like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts