Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes per how many months old the dog is so for 10 week old pup 10-15 minutes. This obviously doesn't count running around and playing so it won't be her only form of exercise.

Just remember no forced jumping, no running or jogging on hard surfaces, careful if she tries to jump on and off the couch/bed and at around a year to a year and a half her growth plates will have closed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes per how many months old the dog is so for 10 week old pup 10-15 minutes. This obviously doesn't count running around and playing so it won't be her only form of exercise.

Just remember no forced jumping, no running or jogging on hard surfaces, careful if she tries to jump on and off the couch/bed and at around a year to a year and a half her growth plates will have closed.
I heard that as well, but i also heard labs need more exercise, so would that hold true. also is it bad to do more that 10-15 mins?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
You shouldn't be taking her on walks around the neighborhood until she's finished her shots, I think that's at around 16 weeks. Until then practice leash skills in your house and yard, then when you take her out she'll have a head start on walking nicely on leash. You can socialize her by taking her to pet shops, outdoor cafe's, and other stores that allow pets, just don't put her down on the ground.

Reactions: MrsCunningham

·
Registered
951 Posts
Concentrate less on the total overall time of the jog and more on the surface.

Running on a nice grassy lawn = not a problem, even a 30 minute jog, but your pup will normally tire before then.

Running on sidewalk or asphalt road = really stick to the 10 minute rule.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I heard that as well, but i also heard labs need more exercise, so would that hold true. also is it bad to do more that 10-15 mins?
Yes they need more exercise but in terms of walks this is enough for the age they are at. You can focus on exercising and tiring her out in the house with training sessions, as Rain said working on walking on the leash and playing with toys.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You shouldn't be taking her on walks around the neighborhood until she's finished her shots, I think that's at around 16 weeks. Until then practice leash skills in your house and yard, then when you take her out she'll have a head start on walking nicely on leash. You can socialize her by taking her to pet shops, outdoor cafe's, and other stores that allow pets, just don't put her down on the ground.
You took the words right out of my mouth ! tehe!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts