Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month-old puppy is awake by 5:15 every morning. I am exhausted :( He was up around 5am when he was really little and I assumed it was just b/c he had been holding his pee all night and he was still so young. Everyone kept telling me it would get better when he was older. He started sleeping until 5:45 or 6, and sometimes as late as 6:30 and in the past few weeks is getting up earlier each day. This morning it was 5:08!! He sleeps in a covered crate down in our living room. We started running the vent in the kitchen all night, thinking that maybe he was hearing birds/animals outside, but it hasn't made a difference. He is going out to pee and poop, then coming in and wanting breakfast right away. He gets plenty of physical exercise during the day and is exhausted at 9:30 when we put him to bed. We tried taking him out again at 11PM and he woke up even earlier the next morning... My kids leave for sleep away camp next Monday for 3 weeks and I am thinking of just letting him bark until 6am. Is that bad? He loves his crate and has never had an accident in it so I don;t want to mess anything up, but I am really tired- hoping he will eventually stop if he gets no response for several days.

:dog-crazy:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You might just end up having a morning dog, but you could try to let him cry it out to see if he will eventually settle. Or you can just take him out to go to the bathroom then put him back in his crate and go back to bed.
Have you tried moving his crate into your room for now, he might settle easier in the mornings if he can see you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My pup (15 weeks) wakes up between 5 & 6 too. I let her out and she goes right back in her kennel. She is good until about 7:30. She eats and plays (I always keep her favorite toy in kennel) and I go back to sleep.? I also have her kennel by my bed. As long as she sees me she is fine. I have done this from day one. She did cry a little at first but I was consistent it did not last long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pax hit this phase for a while regardless of exercise...at the crack of dawn he was up...and I am not a morning person.

Our evening routine was right before bed he goes out to go pee and he got a treat as a reward. Turns out he was waking up that early due to hunger...so I upped his "reward" for going pee before bed to a healthy handful of kibble.

He started sleeping in longer almost immediately since he was not waking up due to hunger. Now I have to drag HIM out of bed in the morning,

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can you let him out to potty, then put him back in his crate and maybe feed him breakfast or a frozen Kong IN his crate while you go back to bed?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. Last night I gave him dinner at 6PM instead of 5PM. He barked once at 5:15 this morning and I ignored it. He was quiet until 5:40. I took him out at 5:45 but waited until 6:15 to feed him breakfast. Hoping he will get the memo that he doesn't eat as soon as he gets up, and maybe the later dinner time helps too. I'll keep you posted. 6am is doable for me as I have to get up at that time to get ready for work and get kids off to school- just hard now where it is Summer vacation and we are up so early.I'd be happy with a 6am bark.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you let him out to potty, then put him back in his crate and maybe feed him breakfast or a frozen Kong IN his crate while you go back to bed?

I tried that once about a month ago and he just barked/yelped and pawed at the crate for 30 minutes :eek: Didn't touch the food.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pax hit this phase for a while regardless of exercise...at the crack of dawn he was up...and I am not a morning person.

Our evening routine was right before bed he goes out to go pee and he got a treat as a reward. Turns out he was waking up that early due to hunger...so I upped his "reward" for going pee before bed to a healthy handful of kibble.

He started sleeping in longer almost immediately since he was not waking up due to hunger. Now I have to drag HIM out of bed in the morning,
I thought about hunger as being the culprit. Last night I fed him dinner at 6PM instead of 5PM. He was still up at 5:20, but then settled until 5:40...not sure if it helped or not. I was afraid of giving him food before bed in case he needed to poop in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might just end up having a morning dog, but you could try to let him cry it out to see if he will eventually settle. Or you can just take him out to go to the bathroom then put him back in his crate and go back to bed.
Have you tried moving his crate into your room for now, he might settle easier in the mornings if he can see you.
He was initially in our room for the first few weeks, but I was waking up to every little noise he was making and got really anxious about it b/c I was so tired. Also, our bedroom is a safe haven for our cat who he chases :mad: Would hate to banish the cat from our room to bring him in there. It's the only place in the house the cat feels comfortable right now.

·
Registered
712 Posts
UGH I feel you....but in my case I think I just have a morning dog. Mia is 7 months now and she will always wake up at around 5-530am. I've tried letting her out at midnight for a potty break but she will still wake up at around 5am. Some days I'm falling asleep at my desk by 1pm! Now I'm in bed by 10pm lol I used to be a night owl!!! It's been a huge adjustment for me.

I think there was one week where she actually slept in until 630am with me...omg that was the best week ever. lol

·
Registered
501 Posts
I thought about hunger as being the culprit. Last night I fed him dinner at 6PM instead of 5PM. He was still up at 5:20, but then settled until 5:40...not sure if it helped or not. I was afraid of giving him food before bed in case he needed to poop in the middle of the night.
That is 12 hours with no food. I would be crying to get up too!

Try a midnight snack RIGHT before bedtime.

·
Registered
871 Posts
There is some light at the end of the tunnel. I made a post about this a while ago. Aayla was a 5:40am wake up from 8 weeks to four months then it got longer to about 6:40, before all of a sudden it fell back to 5:30a for a month. I fed her 9pm at night and refused to feed her breakfast until 7:30am. I also would not interact with her, If I couldn't take the crying I would go to the living room and go back to sleep on the couch and ignore her.

When she hit 8 months she finally started to sleep in past her 6:40am. She now will happily remain quiet till about 7:40am, sometimes 8:30am if we are up late or she is extra tired.

I found it to just be an age thing, changing feeding times, potty times, middle of the night potty breaks, and more exercise did not work for us. I was just firm on no play till the time I wanted her to wake up at, and letting her cry it out when she regressed.

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is 12 hours with no food. I would be crying to get up too!

Try a midnight snack RIGHT before bedtime.
So last night I fed him a handful of food right before bed and took him out at 10:30 instead of 9:30...and he was up at 4:45 :( I let him bark until 5:30 and didn't feed him until 6am. It's just so hard because the lack of sleep is making my puppy blues come back in a big way and making me really resent having him right now :(

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is some light at the end of the tunnel. I made a post about this a while ago. Aayla was a 5:40am wake up from 8 weeks to four months then it got longer to about 6:40, before all of a sudden it fell back to 5:30a for a month. I fed her 9pm at night and refused to feed her breakfast until 7:30am. I also would not interact with her, If I couldn't take the crying I would go to the living room and go back to sleep on the couch and ignore her.

When she hit 8 months she finally started to sleep in past her 6:40am. She now will happily remain quiet till about 7:40am, sometimes 8:30am if we are up late or she is extra tired.

I found it to just be an age thing, changing feeding times, potty times, middle of the night potty breaks, and more exercise did not work for us. I was just firm on no play till the time I wanted her to wake up at, and letting her cry it out when she regressed.
Thanks. Yes, I am wondering if it will sort itself out. The snack I fed him last night at 10PM, followed by the 10:30 potty trip resulted in a 4:45 AM wake-up this morning. It's terrible. Everything feels overwhelming on no sleep.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have no advice to add, just wanted to say I feel for you :( I could not handle Finnegan's 4:30, 5:30AM wake-ups...he's sleeping later now with age, just like everyone told me he would, and I have no idea how I ever survived those first couple of months. It's the absolute worst.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Things are a little better now. My kids left for camp Monday so since Tuesday morning I have been letting him bark for a bit before responding (couldn't before b/c he would wake them up with his barking). I also am feeding him dinner at 6 or 6:30 now. He is now making it until 6AM before the first bark and this morning was up at 6:20. I'll take it!! Come September I will have to be up by 6AM anyway. I also ordered a flirt pole which should arrive Monday to help tire him out at night. And finally, I am feeding him in a puzzle feeder so he has to work a little for his food and doesn;t inhale dinner in 30 seconds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts