Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my puppy for two months now, he is three months old. The first day I got him he went to bed at 8:00pm and slept in his crate till 6:00am when I woke him up. And he was really good at sleeping. Until the last month, once he was potty trained he started crying at night every night at 4:00am and wakes up me and my whole family. He crys because he needs to go potty so I take him outside and then try putting him back to sleep. BUT then he decides he doesn't want to go to sleep and screams wanting me to stay up and play with him!! So I'm forced to crate him in a far away room at night. He'll soon go back to sleep. But its just awful because he won't stop waking us up and then its hard to go back to bed.

I thought I was doing everything right?? He wakes up at 6:30/7:00am I'll give him half a cup of taste of the wild and then take him outside to potty and play with him for 30min, then put him in his pen. About 2 hours later he'll come back out for 30min, potty, play. Then back in pen. He gets his next meal at 12:00am then potty, play. Comes out again at 2:00, then 5:00 for his last meal, then 7:00 for his last play time. He gets anywhere from three hours to four hours of playtime a day. I tried changing his bedding a few times but it never helped. Idk what to do. ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Three months old he may not be able to hold it that long yet. I keep my 10 week old puppy in a playard (not a crate) in my room next to my bed. I use washable waterproof pads and he does pee in there almost every night. It's too long to go for him at night and I need my sleep lol. I use the playard so he can pee and then sleep somewhere away from the pee. The last thing I want to do is have him get comfortable sleeping in it. Once he is bigger and older, I will work on lengthening the time and then hopefully overnight. From what I understand the choices are do it this way or walk them when they need to go. Not sure if this helps but thought I would share.

·
Registered
433 Posts
So I've had my puppy for two months now, he is three months old. The first day I got him he went to bed at 8:00pm and slept in his crate till 6:00am when I woke him up. And he was really good at sleeping. Until the last month, once he was potty trained he started crying at night every night at 4:00am and wakes up me and my whole family. He crys because he needs to go potty so I take him outside and then try putting him back to sleep. BUT then he decides he doesn't want to go to sleep and screams wanting me to stay up and play with him!! So I'm forced to crate him in a far away room at night. He'll soon go back to sleep. But its just awful because he won't stop waking us up and then its hard to go back to bed.

I thought I was doing everything right?? He wakes up at 6:30/7:00am I'll give him half a cup of taste of the wild and then take him outside to potty and play with him for 30min, then put him in his pen. About 2 hours later he'll come back out for 30min, potty, play. Then back in pen. He gets his next meal at 12:00am then potty, play. Comes out again at 2:00, then 5:00 for his last meal, then 7:00 for his last play time. He gets anywhere from three hours to four hours of playtime a day. I tried changing his bedding a few times but it never helped. Idk what to do. ?
I'm sorry I'm confused. Are you saying that except for the times that you mention, your dog is either in a crate or a pen? So, like about 20 hours a day, your dog is either crated or inside of a pen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry I'm confused. Are you saying that except for the times that you mention, your dog is either in a crate or a pen? So, like about 20 hours a day, your dog is either crated or inside of a pen?
Unfortunately yes most the times, the reason why he can't be in all parts of the house for long periods of time is because we're moving and I didn't want him to destroy anything he is very destructive and I let him play around the house fully every now and then and he'll rip the carpet and eat the siding! He mostly is in his pen its big and covers the almost all of a bedroom, I always make sure he has plenty of water and toys. Once we move in a week we plan on having him, have more free time and installing a doggy door he'll be out for half the day if not longer. Idk am I doing something wrong? I read that your puppy needed at least 3 hours a day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you get your puppy when he was one month old? That is way to early to be taken from his mother and litter mates. Furthermore if he is only three months old, it is not unusual for him not to be able to hold his bladder all night. Just stick it out, it'll come eventually.

If you got your puppy at such a young age, there is a whole range of other problems to prepare for:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get your puppy when he was one month old? That is way to early to be taken from his mother and litter mates. Furthermore if he is only three months old, it is not unusual for him not to be able to hold his bladder all night. Just stick it out, it'll come eventually.

If you got your puppy at such a young age, there is a whole range of other problems to prepare for:(
At first I thought one month I was very confused, I looked back on his papers it said he was 8weeks. I'm not sure what I was thinking. But I did get him from a good breeder. Sorry my mind has been all over the place. I was panicked for a second.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
It seems to me that what your puppy is missing is opportunities for socialization. This is the period when you need to have your puppy in puppy classes so that he can interact with other dogs and their owners. You need to be taking him out into the world so that he becomes comfortable with it.

A puppy that spends nearly all of his time in a pen is not getting the opportunities he needs to become confident in the outside world in different circumstances. An unsocialized puppy can develop into a shy, reactive dog.

I know that your attention is on moving, but you may very well be setting yourself and your puppy up for a lot of difficulties later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.