Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.
We have a 4 year old Saint Dane, a 14 year old pug, and now a 12 week old lab mix. The puppy is delightful, very smart, and is doing well with training and with playing with the Saint Dane. He is, however, going to be the death of our poor pug (literally) because of his non-stop harassment. The huge dog and the pup play nicely and when things get out of hand the big guy let's out a grumble and the puppy backs right off. HOWEVER, when the pug lets out a warning that he needs a break from being chased and having his tail and legs chewed on, you can almost see the puppy laugh at him. The pug has even snapped at and tried to bite the pup but it has no effect on the pup. The puppy is relentless and as comical as it is for 30 seconds, it's frustrating and I'm sure not good for the senior pug to be forced into this non-stop activity.

When I think he's had enough I loudly tell the pup to STOP and he does, for a few seconds or until I turn my back and then he's right back at it. I then put him in his ex-pen for a time out. He goes right back at it once he's free, and I put him back in time out, over and over and over. I have put the senior pug in the ex-pen instead si that he can catch a break, but the poor guy wants nothing more than to be lying at my feet or on my lap and I don't want him to feel as if he's being punished - he's not the one doing anything wrong.

I'm sure someone here has encountered this with a new addition.... any suggestions other than scolding the pup and putting him in time-outs? I would love the pup to be free when I'm home because he plays so well with the Saint Dane but he seems to like picking on the pug more. I know, this too shall pass, but I am hoping to quell it before my poor pug passes!
Sue

·
Banned
11 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of isolating anyone in a pack, this doesn't happen. You are the one who needs to continue to intervene. Control of play is an important method of control with a puppy which it sounds like your bigger dog has it down but the age of your pug keep it from exercising this control. Ultimately, the human has to assert themselves you will have to put forth more effort because you don't have the tools the big dog has. You might try to help this endeavor is to not allow play at all in areas of the house where the pug likes to hang out. Or stepping in before the pup gets to the point of no return with energy. You could also after the initial stoppage put the pup on a leash if you suspect activities will resume.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a 12 year old Shiba (13 in November) and an 8 month old staffy mix (I got her at 8 weeks). I was in the a very similar situation as you, except that my puppy didn't have another older dog to play with, only my senior. So having NO social skills watsoever with an older dog, she didn't understand that growling and baring teeth meant "GO AWAY!"

In my situation I was able to leave my senior with some friends for a couple of months while I spend time training my pup, taking her to obedience class (where she got to play with other puppies). I'm lucky enough that my Shiba is quite independent and he loves that couple (they always take care of him when I go on vacation) so he was quite happy to be away from a rambunctious pup and was the center of attention.

After the 2 months passed, Mia (puppy) came home and on their first encounter nothing happened! I was so shocked. If she tried to play with him he would growl and she would just back off. She wouldn't even try again. I know they will never be best friends but now they are able to co-exist because she can read him better and understands his body language/signals.

I also do spent time with the pup to tire her out. Obedience training, controlled playdates, fetch at the park etc so that while she's at home, she's less inclined to want to play with my senior since I've drained out most of her energy.

I do recommend that your pup play with other pups around her age (once she's fully vaccinated). At least for me, it really helped with Mia getting socialized.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing - glad to know someone "gets it". I have looked into daycare, training, classes, etc. but they all require the pup be 4 months old (or have all shots) before he can be admitted. One more month to go! :)
Sue

I have a 12 year old Shiba (13 in November) and an 8 month old staffy mix (I got her at 8 weeks). I was in the a very similar situation as you, except that my puppy didn't have another older dog to play with, only my senior. So having NO social skills watsoever with an older dog, she didn't understand that growling and baring teeth meant "GO AWAY!"

In my situation I was able to leave my senior with some friends for a couple of months while I spend time training my pup, taking her to obedience class (where she got to play with other puppies). I'm lucky enough that my Shiba is quite independent and he loves that couple (they always take care of him when I go on vacation) so he was quite happy to be away from a rambunctious pup and was the center of attention.

After the 2 months passed, Mia (puppy) came home and on their first encounter nothing happened! I was so shocked. If she tried to play with him he would growl and she would just back off. She wouldn't even try again. I know they will never be best friends but now they are able to co-exist because she can read him better and understands his body language/signals.

I also do spent time with the pup to tire her out. Obedience training, controlled playdates, fetch at the park etc so that while she's at home, she's less inclined to want to play with my senior since I've drained out most of her energy.

I do recommend that your pup play with other pups around her age (once she's fully vaccinated). At least for me, it really helped with Mia getting socialized.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks for sharing - glad to know someone "gets it". I have looked into daycare, training, classes, etc. but they all require the pup be 4 months old (or have all shots) before he can be admitted. One more month to go! :)
Sue
I know right?? Most of the training classes and daycares here just require their 2nd set of shots so I was lucky I didn't have to wait too long but still having to wait was brutal! I was counting down the days! lol

Good luck and please keep up updated! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.