Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 dogs both hound mixes. Our first dog was always fine around the chickens and doesn't bother them and he isn't a problem with them. Our new puppy was fine at first eight he chickens and she would leave them alone. Now it has been around 2 months and now she is constantly chasing and buying the chickens and we are afraid that one might get hurt does anyone have any training methods for this or ways to stop this

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Best way: keep them separated.

I've had chickens and dogs for a long time, and even though I've had success with training some (not all) dogs to ignore the chickens when I'm around, they'll often just go after them on their own.

And then sometimes the temptation is just too much, as the is the case with my youngest, Chisum. But the temptation is always too much for him :)

My Aussie used to be awful at attacking chickens. Now she's older and doesn't care - she can walk right next to them without issue.

Maybe others have better ideas, but to me there's no real way to be 100% sure they'll always leave your chickens alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.