Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, everyone! I'm new to this forum as I've only been an official dog parent for about 2 weeks now. I have a 9 week old Dachshund/Shihzu/Beagle/Pomeranian mix. This is my first post. I have a mystery on my hands. My puppy was in her confinement area for about 3 hours and I came back to a mysterious chunky mess on my bathroom floor. It doesn't even look like vomit but that's our best guess. My puppy has no other symptoms. When I took her out of the crate she was wagging her tail and ready to play & cuddle as usual. She even had a normal bowel movement in the confinement area on her puppy pad while in there. I emailed our vet and am waiting to hear back but I was wondering if anyone had an inkling as to what the heck this is? Below is the email I sent her for more detail. I'm stumped!

"I’m writing because I had a question about Ella. Everything is going well with her but today she was in her long term confinement area for about 3 hours while I was doing housework. When I came back to take her out, there was a yucky mess on the ground. I honestly couldn’t tell if she had pooped or thrown up. My best guess is throw up because it looked like completely undigested food. Also, because she had a normal looking bowel movement on the puppy pad that I can see in the confinement area. The mess is chunky (no liquid at all) and light colored. I originally thought she had mashed up all the treats in her Kong on the floor until I realized her Kong hadn’t even been in there with her. It definitely isn’t the color of her kibble, though. And she hadn’t eaten anything that looked like that prior to going in her confinement area. When I took her out she was ready to play and she’s currently acting like her normal, silly self. No lethargy or anything. Is there anything I should do? Should I bring her in? Just want to be on the safe side. Thank you!"

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Without a picture I really can't say. She could have had a bit of an upset stomach, or ate something that didn't agree with her, and have thrown up. What kibble are you feeding? What treats are you using? Does she get chews and could she have bitten off large pieces of it? Has she chewed up any non edible items and could she have swallowed any?

If she is otherwise acting fine, and that's the only incident, I'd not worry to much about it. Keep an eye on her though and if she starts acting sick, or the vomiting / diarrhea (whichever it was) continues, then bring her to the vet and get her checked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Rain!

She eats Blur buffalo small breed puppy kibble. She's been transitioned fully into that for over a week now. We gave her some pepperoni treats (the brand escapes me) and a bully stick. She's been eating the bully stuck for a while now but I think the combo of the treats & bully stuck didn't agree with her. I'm going to keep her on just kibble and keep an eye out. The vet pretty much said the same in her email back to me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks, Rain!

She eats Blur buffalo small breed puppy kibble. She's been transitioned fully into that for over a week now. We gave her some pepperoni treats (the brand escapes me) and a bully stick. She's been eating the bully stuck for a while now but I think the combo of the treats & bully stuck didn't agree with her. I'm going to keep her on just kibble and keep an eye out. The vet pretty much said the same in her email back to me.
Was she crying at all when she was in the confinement area? When Tucker was 8-10 weeks old, he would sometimes work himself up into enough of a frenzy to make himself throw up.

I agree with Rain though. If she hasn't done it again and is acting normal otherwise I would think she's probably fine and it was a one time thing.

Also that mix sounds freaking adorable!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. You might be right about the crying. She does tend to cry for a good 10 minutes while confined, especially if she can hear us talking and bustling about. It could definitely be that she worked herself up. She's doing fine today and eating all her food normally so I think she'll be okay. Plus, yes she is adorable! Here are more pics just because I can't take how cute she is sometimes lol.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts