Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 7-m/o Lhasa, who is full of energy and spirit. However, about two weeks ago she stopped eating her food. She'd approach, sniff it, and turn away. She gets very few treats and no scraps. To test whether or not it was the food or her appetite, I offered a few treats to her and she ate them readily - so she's not refusing food all together, just the one she had been eating since forever (Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry.)

I went to the store and bought her a Merrick grain-free dry puppy food, and she ate that very well for a week. Then, she started the same behavior, sniffing it and turning away. Again, she will still happily eat a treat or any odd bit of food she finds on the floor.

She is not eating avocados, trash, or anything behind my back. She is worm-free.

I am not willing to do the "new food dance" every week or two. What gives? Should I just old out? She is drinking well and acting perfectly fine.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Are you buying the same kind of meat when you change foods? Could be she does not like or do well o that kind of meat.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Definitely try a different protein! Dogs can develop food sensitivities, with chicken and beef kibbles being the #1 culprits! It can upset set their stomachs and make them avoid their food.... But then again, at 7 months old small dogs mature faster and it could be he doesn't need as much food as he did as a young pup. A day or two of eating little is not harmful as long as they are drinking water, have good bowel movements, and are otherwise bright and playful as usual! If you think he is just being picky.......don't give in, just put down his bowl, give him 10-15 mins to eat and if he doesn't, pick up the bowl and try again when it is time for his next meal (let him get hungry!) A healthy dog will not starve itself!!!

P.S. If you feed raw you won't have these problems! I feed both raw and commercial dog foods and I have never had my girl turn her nose up at her raw meat ever! Kibble will sit til she's hungry though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
She could have decided she would be picky. I tend to mix my older dogs kibble with wet just enough to flavour it. I have also heard that a stock poured over kibble can help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts