Dog Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 12 week old choc lab. I kinda messed up the vaccine schedule cause well i forgot to do it. So anyways. The breeder I got her from gave her the first shot at 6 weeks, Now i dont know what kind of shot this was cause i forgot to ask at the time and i cant get ahold of him now. So Anyways when i remembered about the shots was at 10 weeks old. so at 10 weeks i went to tractor supply and got a 6in1 shot and gave it. Then i regave it yesterday which was 12weeks and 1 day old. So should i give another 6in1 in 2 more weeks, or is she good? or is there another course of action to take? Thanks

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Yes, go to a vet.

A vet will keep you on track (you're very lucky that your "I forgot" moment didn't result in a puppy dying a horrible death) and Tractor Supply does not properly transport or store their vaccines. If, at any point during transport, or at any point in the store, the vaccine was allowed to get above a certain temperature, it doesn't work anymore. You don't have to worry about this with a vet.

So go to a vet, get your vaccines and wormers, and begin a relationship that will allow your dog to have a long, happy life.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the vet is out of the question due to the cost of the local vets office just for shots. So should i give another 6in1 or is she good cause she has had 3 series?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Unless I'm greatly mistaken puppies should get their shots every 4 weeks not every 2... I just looked it up, I was wrong it's every 3 weeks, still you are over vaccinating your puppy which is bad
Vaccination Recommendations for Puppies (Puppy Shots)
3 Puppy Vaccination Mistakes: Too Early, Too Often, Too Much - Dogs Naturally Magazine

The other thing is you will need to get her a rabies vaccine and your puppy should still be checked by the vet. I'm not sure where you are located but if you are in the U.S. and in the south you should give serious consideration to putting your puppy on a heartworm preventative. Down here in the south heartworms are epidemic and if your dog spends a good bit of time outside it's not a question of will he get heartworms it's a question of when.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i went by the package which said 2-3 weeks. But i will take her to the vet for rabbies. But she has had 3 vaccanations. Not sure what the first one was. So is she good or ahould i do another in 3 weeks just to be sure?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well i went by the package which said 2-3 weeks. But i will take her to the vet for rabbies. But she has had 3 vaccanations. Not sure what the first one was. So is she good or ahould i do another in 3 weeks just to be sure?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ask your vet when you go in for the rabbies vaccine. No one here is going to be able to give you any further information than you're going to get using google.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Wait, wait, wait. @Rain @amaryllis I need some clarification. You can buy vaccines...at like a pet store? Not flea and tick medication, but actual vaccines?

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you read the articles I gave you?

If you are going to be giving your own vaccinations, especially to puppies, you need to have a working knowledge of how they work and of how the puppies immune system works.

Puppies have some immunity that they get from the mother, BUT as they age that immunity wears off, but there's no set time when that happens, no one can say your puppy will become vulnerable at 8 weeks of age. That's important to know to understand why vets recommend vaccinating on the schedule they do.

The antibodies (immunity) that the puppy inherited from the mother will cause vaccinations to not work, The antibodies can start to go away as early as 6 weeks old (but it's not usual) so the puppy gets the first shot then. Vaccinating to much can be bad, so the vet waits 3 weeks then gives the second shot that will cover all the puppies who lost antibodies during that time, but some will still have them (remember the antibodies keep the vaccines from working), then they get the last vaccination at around 16 weeks of age and by then 95% of puppies will be able to be immunized.

TL;DR? Long story short, it's not the number of vaccinations that's important, it's whether the antibodies she received from her mother have worn off and the immunization is able to work.
If nothing else read this from the second article I linked to in my first post
Pfizer performed an interesting field study in 1996 where they split vaccinated puppies into two groups. Group A received a single vaccination at 12 weeks and Group B received a first vaccine between eight to 10 weeks and a second at 12 weeks. When titers were measured, 100% of the puppies vaccinated once at 12 weeks were protected whereas only 94% of the puppies in Group B were protected – despite receiving two vaccines as opposed to one. It appears that the first vaccine can interfere with the second vaccine. So vaccinating your puppy twice not only doubles his risk for adverse vaccine reactions, it appears to make vaccination less effective overall.
At 12 weeks old that last vaccine may or may not have worked. BUT I'd simply give the puppy a month off from the vaccines then vaccinate at 16 weeks old. Keep him away from any unvaccinated dogs, and do not bring him anywhere that has a lot of dogs and let him walk around on the ground. You should be doing that last part regardless of who gave your pup the vaccines.

Reactions: Sha and Gnostic Dog

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Wait, wait, wait. @Rain @amaryllis I need some clarification. You can buy vaccines...at like a pet store? Not flea and tick medication, but actual vaccines?

Feed stores and stores like Tractor Supply sell them. The huge problem with them is that they (like insulin) MUST be kept refrigerated and if that cold chain was broken at any point in the line then the vaccines effectiveness decreases. So say the manufacturer sent them to the store, they get to the store and accidentally get left overnight in the stores warehouse, then are discovered the next day and are put away in the refrigerated case, well those vaccines have been compromised and can fail to provide infection.

Here's an article that has a bit of info on it:
Proper Use and Handling of Vaccines in Animal Shelters

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I don't think you can buy vaccines anywhere in Canada. At least I've never heard of it anywhere. The most we have readily available would be flea or tick medication. That is crazy.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I agree with @Rain, when it comes to vaccines more is not better, the puppy is either immune or it is not, and that will depend on if the puppy still had maternal antibodies, if they did then the antibodies will neutralize the antigens in the vaccines, so you have all the risk and none of the benefits from the vaccines. The greater the number of vaccines does not equal greater immunity. Over vaccinating is asking for health issues down the line with an over stimulated immune system comes autoimmunity problems.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Feed stores and stores like Tractor Supply sell them. The huge problem with them is that they (like insulin) MUST be kept refrigerated and if that cold chain was broken at any point in the line then the vaccines effectiveness decreases. So say the manufacturer sent them to the store, they get to the store and accidentally get left overnight in the stores warehouse, then are discovered the next day and are put away in the refrigerated case, well those vaccines have been compromised and can fail to provide infection.

Here's an article that has a bit of info on it:
Proper Use and Handling of Vaccines in Animal Shelters

:eyeroll:
and can fail to provide infection.
Oh dear, well I guess that might just be a good thing!:eek:

That should have been protection and not infection:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
That would be pretty strange if it were true...
Well, maybe I'm crazy, any hopefully some other Canadians can tell me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen them anywhere. Certainly not at a place like PetSmart or Pet Valu or even the feed stores back home. I can only speak from personal experience, and I certainly don't want to hijack the thread.

Interesting indeed.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well the vet is out of the question due to the cost of the local vets office just for shots. So should i give another 6in1 or is she good cause she has had 3 series?
I'm sorry to be the one that says this, but why did you get a dog if you are unable to get him to the vet?

·
Banned
418 Posts
I used tractor supply vaccines on my pit bull I had she never got parvo she did get cancer at 4 years old and had to be put down Diamond my pit mix that I rehomed about 3 months ago also recieved those vaccines without any problems my current puppy has been getting the vet vaccines and they are expensive so far for just 3 vaccines and flea medicine for 2 months and 2 exams that are required for the vaccines I have spent almost 200$ and still have another 50 to spend When I did the store bought I got everything for under 50 so by doing it yourself you save over 150$

1 - 16 of 16 Posts