Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 6th dog. BUT hes my first puppy, and this whole vaccination thing has me screwed up.

I got Him at the pound at 5-7 wks old. They gave him his first set of puppy shots two weeks before I adopted him and a 2nd set when I adopted him.

Ok. Hes had his third set as of this past thursday.

So techinically. Hes had everything but rabies. BUT hes only 10-12 wks old. Everything I read says to keep them away from other dogs untill 16wks. But I can't tell if its because thats just the normal vac schedual, or another reason.

So basically he got all the right shots, just younger than normal.

Iam eager to get him out and socialize him (since he was taken from mom so young) but I want to make sure his immunity is there.

Thanks.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
The amount of puppy shots isn't dictated by an exact number, instead it's dictated by thier age. Puppies should have immunity to basic diseases via thier mothers antibodies. As they get older those antibodies start to wear off. However it's unknown when a pups antibodies have worn off and vaccines given before a sufficent amount of antibodies have worn off is essentialy useless, hence why it's recomened to continue vaccinating pups until they're 16 wks. You also need to keep up with the shot routine for min of 2 sets to ensure the pup has developed enough of it's own T-cell antibodies.

Also you can socalize him with other dogs that are known to be up to date with their vacs. So if you have friends or family with dogs you can start socializing him with them. Just don't take him anywhere where unknown dogs may have been.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I cant imagine a shelter letting one go that young we never let them go out the door till they were at least 8 weeks old. We vaccinated at 6/8 and 12 wks, rabies at 16 weeks that is the schedule my vet uses as well

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Animalcracker...

thanks...that makes sence. So if Iam understanding you correctly I should get him a fourth set at about 16 weeks just to be sure? The only other know UTD dogs I have access too are my own. I don't live in exactly a responsible area.

I cant imagine a shelter letting one go that young we never let them go out the door till they were at least 8 weeks old. We vaccinated at 6/8 and 12 wks, rabies at 16 weeks that is the schedule my vet uses as well

its a kill shelter. They have no space. Its that, or they euth then.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.