Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two rescue puppies are doing SO MUCH BETTER.

I realize now how close Hopper was to death when I brought her home. When I put her little collar on, it was latched on the second hole. Now (only 4 days later) the collar is latched in the FOURTH hole. She was dehydrated and so sick from all the worms and being out in the cold.

Cricket is getting leggy. It seems like she's actually GROWN in the last four days. Is that even possible? Oh, my gosh they are so smart too!

Every time they wake up, I take them right outside, set them on the grass and say, "out. good girls, out." Then they eat, then the go out to poo. EVERY TIME. No exceptions. They hear the words associated with the action, and I can tell by their facial expressions that they are already recognizing some words. Anyway.... this morning I had the door open while the puppies had their breakfasts. As soon as Hopper finished her food, she hopped straight out the door to potty. Cricket followed right behind her! They are SO CUTE. :D :D :D

Pictures: Cricket has chocolate points, Hopper has tan points and a white chest.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
awwww they are little cuties pies :) glad to hear their loving their new home :), oooooh just want to give them cuddles :), glad they are doing well with toilet training, did the same with my dog didn't bother with puppy pads because he would try to eat them or shred them lol x

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly, one is my foster... The two are sisters and I had to take more than one when I saw them in their little cage. I can't keep both, but I'm treating them both like they're mine until they're eight weeks. A friend of mine works closely with the shelters here and she'll find a good home for the foster puppy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every day the babies get to learn something new. Yesterday they discovered the peppermint patch. Today they got to hang out with the 3 week old chickens. :D A treat was given for every calm reaction, and every time the puppy turned her head away from a bird.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
They are absolutely adorable, I love the picture of them cuddling and sleeping together. The one with the chicken is cute too.
So Cricket is the one with the chocolate "eyebrows" and blue collar and hopper doesn't have eyebrows and has the pink collar right? Its amazing how similar they look at the moment, I cant wait to see how they grow up, your doing such a good job with them :)
What mix are they again?
Have you decided which of the girls your going to foster?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are absolutely adorable, I love the picture of them cuddling and sleeping together. The one with the chicken is cute too.
So Cricket is the one with the chocolate "eyebrows" and blue collar and hopper doesn't have eyebrows and has the pink collar right? Its amazing how similar they look at the moment, I cant wait to see how they grow up, your doing such a good job with them :)
What mix are they again?
Have you decided which of the girls your going to foster?
Thank you! My husband and I are pretty set on keeping Cricket as our forever fur-baby. Her personality just seems to match our family better.
Cricket is the one with very dark brown points (I guess I shouldn't have said chocolate lol). You can only see the color in bright light, so she looks solid black except for the white stripe on her chest. pink collar
Hopper has the easy to see tan points with a big white patch on her chest. She is the smaller of the two.. blue collar.

They sure do look alike! We still get them mixed up. lol

Today I had to get new collars for them because of how fast they're catching up to where they should be. I can't believe how much better they look and we haven't even had them for a whole week! My friend who works with the local animal shelter is going to try to rescue the other puppies from the litter that Cricket and Hopper came from.

The mom was a black lab, and the dad was a "Walker hound from tree stalk". I'm assuming that means he was a treeing walker coonhound?? My vet swears they are rottweilers though LOL.

Sorry about the VERY long reply. I just love talking about them. :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Cricket deffinitly has a great forever home, and I know you will find a great one for Hopper. I hope your friend is able to rescue the rest of the pups.

I can deffinitly see lab in the head, though I can deffinitaly see how your vet said rottie especially with those perfectly placed tan points lol. Maybe as they get older you will be able to better guess if dad was TWCH, TWCH mix or some other kind of breed or mix.

I cant remember if you mentioned this already in your other post but how old are they now?

Reactions: purplesully

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are six weeks today. I'm holding onto Hopper until after her first set of shots. I want to give her the best possible chance of getting adopted that I can!

Honestly, the Rottweiler guess makes me laugh. One Mauka's brothers looked just like Hopper, and I know without a doubt that there was no Rottweiler in them. They had some kind of herding mix in them and that accounted for the coloring.

There is a bloodline of walker hounds that has very little white, and one of Cricket and Hopper's brothers looks like that. I think it's called preacher? not sure though. One of the crazy things about genetics is that the white markings on TWCH aren't actually markings.., they're fur color deletions. So, if you put all the color back in the fur of TWCH dogs, they would look a lot like dogs with black and tan markings. (point, saddles etc).
Also, some black labs carry the gene for tan points, but they rarely ever show up in pure breeds because the black gene covers the points. Mixed breeds are where you get to see those hidden markings. It is all so very fascinating to me. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course my girls are not pure.... but here a few links about mismarked labs.
Mismarks & other odd markings in Labradors part 2 - Woodhaven Labradors
Mismarks & other odd markings in Labradors part 2 - Woodhaven Labradors

The walker here (ignoring the white) has tan points on it's face.
Treeing Walker Coonhound Dog Breed Information

lots of "preacher hounds" pictures - a type of walker
UKC Forums - John Wick Looking for Preacher Fans

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some black and tan coonhound thrown in Cricket and Hopper's mix because hunting dogs of all sorts are SO popular in my area.

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Ive never heard of mismarks on labs or the preacher line, the puppies are adorable.
That's funny that Hopper has a twin in color from on of Mauka's brothers. I think I remember him from some of your pictures you posted.

I cant believe there only 6 weeks old, since there looking so good I was thinking they were already closer to 8 weeks? I was looking back at the picture of Cricket (?) and the chicks, are they about the same size at the moment lol?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I cant believe there only 6 weeks old, since there looking so good I was thinking they were already closer to 8 weeks? I was looking back at the picture of Cricket (?) and the chicks, are they about the same size at the moment lol?
When I got them from the lady who had them I took them immediately to the vet for a checkup. Cricket (the one with the chicks) weighed 3.7 pounds. Hopper was 3.3 pounds. They were only five weeks then. The chicken that decided to walk on Cricket in that picture is the biggest of the birds and he about 2/3 her size then. She is much bigger than him now. I bet the pups will both be close to ten pounds at their seven week checkup the way they're growing.

Hopper (the one with more brown) as started something new. She no longer eats every speck of food in her bowl. She has plenty of energy so I believe that she is finally comfortable about food and has fully caught up to where she should be.

The first picture (left Cricket, right Hopper) shows the girls the day they came home. The second two pictures shows them playing today. (red collar Hopper, pink/blue collar Cricket)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I think I may have to steal them :p they have the cutest faces and sweetest eyes. This thread really makes me want a puppy lol

I'm glad they are doing well on food and are growing like weeds.

Reactions: purplesully

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I need you guys' expertise.... I have seriously been questioning the validity of the claims made by the person who I got Cricket and Hopper from. The mother being hit by a cars seems valid enough (the house is right next to a busy highway), but what she says about the father is what's bothering me.
The lady said the father is a full blooded, $700 "walker dog from treeing stock" but she doesn't have him because he blew out his hip hunting. Now, there were three other dogs on the site. One pure Treeing Walker female (that obviously had NOT had any puppies) and two German Shepherd mixes. I couldn't tell if they were male or female, but the markings on the puppies makes me question her story about their father.

What do you guys think??? am I thinking too much, or could I be right?? Thanks!

Here is a picture of the whole litter at the lady's house.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.