Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have adopted a 9 week old cavapoo from a family breeder (their family dog is the mom Charles Cavalier and their uncle's mini poodle is the father). I will be receiving the puppy in 2 weeks and they just told me that he has a 1mm slight underbite. From his photos they sent I can't see any underbite, so it's not currently a visible one. The most important thing to me is that they said it will not cause him any health issues according to their vet and that it should not get worse.

But I just wanted to reach out to see if anyone else has had a Cavapoo puppy with a 1mm underbite that wasn't showing and if it eventually did become visible as the puppy grew and if it ever caused any health issues?

I'm still adopting the puppy of course, something this small wouldn't deter me, but I just would sort of like to know what to expect.

I am uploading a picture of him mid yawn, then when his mouth shut from the yawn, and then just a regular picture of him from the front side.

Dog Carnivore Flooring Water dog Wood

Dog Dog breed Liver Carnivore Fawn

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
Sorry to be blunt but I'd be more concerned about other problems. Has the mother been tested for (heart) mitral valve disease and chiari malformation/ syringomyelia? Almost all Cavaliers have the Chiari malformation and at 6 years and older 70% will have SM. These are serious and painful conditions.

If you do take this puppy, and the tests on the mother haven't been done, get good insurance.

·
Registered
542 Posts
A bad bite may or may not cause problems. Cavaliers are a smush faced breed; poodles are not. It's hard to say how the genetics of the two will reconcile as the puppy matures. When the bite is off the teeth may not mesh properly when the dog closes his mouth. Instead the teeth interfere with each other or poke into the gums and palate. It may be necessary to pull some of the teeth if the bad bite is causing such issues. You would want a vet that's experienced with dental issues to examine the dog several times during the first year as the dog grows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts