Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a border collie puppey 6 days ago and I feel he's well adjusted to the house, but he doesn't trust me as his leader. he follows me and likes me, but sometimes he hides from me or doesn't listen. Does it take time to earn his trust or am I doing something wrong?

I'm actually really scared because I know all the challenges that owning a border collie brings and now his life relies on me. Well, I think I need some time understand the situation a little bit better.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Trust me when I say that puppies have NO concept of leader. Think of things from a child's point of view. Trust takes time. There is no way he is adjusted to the house yet... He's not even adjusted to the world yet. His life is just a blur of new sights and new sounds and new things to learn about every single day. It's distracting! Just focus on being his parent and protector. Dogs naturally trust their main caregiver more than anyone else in their life.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't worry, it is all part of puppyhood. They take a couple of weeks to get adjusted to their new homes, and then you'll start seeing small results of your training. My pup is entering adolescence, and he is the cutest little rascal on planet earth.

Six days is NOTHING in the big picture. Right now your focus should be on settling in and building your relationship. Everything else is second to that, and the stronger your bond is, the more efficient your training sessions will become. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies, guys.

He's 9 weeks now and I'm working hard to keep him happy.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Socialize, socialize, socialize. That is objective #1 for border collies. They are very prone to fearful/reactive behavior. Spend his puppy socialization window period just investigating new sights/sounds (skate parks, construction sites, busy roads, horses, pet stores, hardware stores) and making sure that he is used to them, so that he doesn't become fearful to them when his socialization period ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Socialize, socialize, socialize. That is objective #1 for border collies. They are very prone to fearful/reactive behavior. Spend his puppy socialization window period just investigating new sights/sounds (skate parks, construction sites, busy roads, horses, pet stores, hardware stores) and making sure that he is used to them, so that he doesn't become fearful to them when his socialization period ends.
He's still needs to be vaccinated (saturday and early october) and then we are ready to go :)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
He's still needs to be vaccinated (saturday and early october) and then we are ready to go :)
Carry him. Walk him on sidewalks. Other dogs are just a small part of what dogs need to be socialized to. It's survivable if your dog doesn't like other dogs. If your dog turns around and drags you back home every time a car goes by... That sucks. Mine did. It's not fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts