Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancé and I have a lab and golden retriever mix. We got him at 6weeks of age and he is now 5 weeks of age as of February 27th. We have both owned many dogs and have trained them on our own but we are having some troubles with opie. He listens for the most part but a few things we just can't get him to listen to.
For instance when we come home and walk through the door he loves to jump up on us and does not listen when we tell him down. We have tried everything... Ignoring him until he stops and then showing him attention we have tried standing like a tree, turning our backs toward him and trying to teach him to back up and he just does not seem to get it. I do not like having company come through the door and then my dog jumping all over them. I don't know what else to try.
Also he does not get the gist of lay down. We have a 1.5 year old blood hound and husky mix who is very well trained that we adopted when opie was just 3 months old. When we are trying to teach opie to lay down Pedro automatically lays down and I would think opie would would follow Pedro in laying down as Pedro gets a treat but opie still will not lay down. I have showed him what laying down is and then trying to train him with a treat but it's not working. Can I get some suggestions anything will help at this point

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think that its important to train your dog to sit first. Once he has the "sit" command down then you can train him to go from the "sit" command to the "down" command. Simply take him from the "sit" command while tightly holding a treat in your hand to the "down" command. Once he is down, give him the treat and give him some love. Hopefully with a little hard work and repetition, he will have it down in no time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wait...how old is the pup? You got him at 6 weeks and now he's 5 weeks? Or it's 5 weeks later? Either way I think the problem is that you are expecting your young pup to get things to "click" at such a young age. Definitely do as mentioned above and teach him to sit first. Then when you come home tell him to sit and don't give him attention until he does. Repeat this for any sort of affection or treats as well. Even to be fed. My dog is now reaching 7 months and hes realizing that sitting patiently gets him things. He gets them quicker if we don't have to ask for him to sit. That being said he still can not control his excitement so it takes a few minutes for him to remember. And labs/retrievers are very excitable lol
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts