Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently the original owners of the puppy had male teenagers
who loved to bully the puppy by making it angry and irritating it or even scaring it.

Well it's been a pretty difficult process of finding a home for her, until finally
she arrived at our door and we welcomed her with open arms

She's a %100 pure labrador retriever, only 4 months young
When she first got introduced to us, she was very very shy and nervous
She would hide behind my friends legs or just always wanting to be close to her.

She's only had her for 2 hours too.
When everyone in my house left, i spent some quality time with her
trying to introduce myself with her.

She isolates herself to a corner, closeby the door and lays there, but whenever i try to get close to her she growls and stands still
So i back off so she doesn't bite me, i decided to give her, her space

30 minutes later she comes to my room and starts to cry
The entire time i lead her back to the living room, try to see why she's crying
I hold her, hug her, kiss her, even set her up with a bowl of puppy chow and some water. She still cries, i try to entertain her with a ball, or pet her, but she cries.

I would take her outside, but she doesn't have her shots yet.
And I know shes not sick, shes as healthy as a whistle.
The good news is, she's warmed up to me, but not to the men in the house.

Could this be puppy trauma? Is there something I can do?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Gosh, you just got her. Maybe she's a little stressed because everything is new. Give her a couple of months. Don't force yourself on her, and remember we like to hug dogs, but they usually don't really like it. Try to learn 'calming signals' so you can tell what her feeling are, like if she is stressed, etc. Just give her space and be sweet to her and she'll come around, maybe toss some real good treats to her etc.

Monty

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Ditto. Read the Calming Signals sticky and pay attention to her body language. Have everyone start being a treat dispenser. Two great books I rec are The Puppy Primer by Pat McConnell and How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves by Dr. Sophia Yin. Those will both get you going in the right direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Also, don't force her to interact with the men, let her do it on her own accord. When she approaches, just have them drop a treat, not even try to hand feed it. Even if she doesn't eat them, just keep at it--she get comfy enough to eat and the offering is important. Eventually they can work up to that. Def do not have them hold her until she is more uncomfortable--pups have no where to escape when being held and it won't help....

If she is really shy, she can drag a leash so that you can relocate her when needed without actual physical contact. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I checked out the puppy signals sticky thread
Great, great stuff! I've actually been trying them out and trying to learn to communicate with my pup better.

It REALLY works! She's really grown attached to me, and it's been day 2, she's slowly warming up to my Dad, and everyone else is sort of taking awhile
I'm trying to get her confident enough to approach and spend time with everyone in the household

But she seems to be very co-dependent on me
I feel like shes sort of become my little minion/companion
Feels nice, always had one on an Online MMO but it's so rad having one in real life. She follows me everywhere!

My only worry now is that I work a lot, and what we'll do when we are separated since she seems to get lots of anxiety and trembles like crazy when other people are around her.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
For when you have to leave her try crating her, BUT train her to it properly so it becomes her safe place and not a trap. Here's a sticky thread http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/crate-training-faq-3974/ to help you do that. Also start leaving her for short spaces of time now (by short spaces of time I mean start with only a couple minutes at most), slowly increasing the time you are gone so that she learns that when you leave her you come back. You can leave her with a special chew or special stuffed Kong that she'll only get when you leave so that she also learns that when you leave she gets something special.

LOL, I had a host of pets in the MMO that I used to play, but you're right NOTHING beats the real thing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts