Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12week old puppy who I've been struggling to get to fully empty her bladder outside, using every trick I've been able to get my hands on, but none of them had any luck. She always came in and peed on my carpet no matter how many times I took her out or for how long. I had already been considering trying to use training pads while she builds up some more bladder control and learns to empty her bladder all the way when I visited the vet and found out that she has both roundworm and giardia (not showing any symptoms of either, thankfully) and now I'm even more hesitant to take her outside to do her business thinking about how she hasn't been fully vaccinated yet and there's just no way to avoid being about other dogs and their excrement outside my NYC apartment, even if I try my hardest. I know that a lot of trainers say that you absolutely should never use training pads, but I'm at a loss for what else to do. And I know it will just make it that much harder to train her to go outside, but I feel like it's more important to keep her safe, is it not?

·
Super Moderator
200 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum. :)

I wouldn't recommend puppy pads as it teaches the dog to toilet in the house.

If you absolutely cannot risk taking her outside, get a litter tray and some turf and teach her on that instead. That way there's a distinction between the carpet/floor and her toilet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what I've always heard, and I exclusively outdoor trained all of the other 3 puppies I've had in my life, but she has definitely been my most challenging to train. My vet is really concerned about her going outside onto the NYC sidewalks right now, so I really think I should be using an indoor alterantive for now. Does it make a difference that she will likely not be encountering much grass once she does go out, except we go for very long walks (which we will at least once per day, but not every single time she goes out to go potty)? Meaning, when I try to transition her to going outdoors, how would one make the transition from terf to concrete? I've heard of people bringing pads outside with them to transition from those, but I'm not sure if that even works or if it's people just talking out of their other end, y'know?

·
Super Moderator
200 Posts
Thanks. That's what I've always heard, and I exclusively outdoor trained all of the other 3 puppies I've had in my life, but she has definitely been my most challenging to train. My vet is really concerned about her going outside onto the NYC sidewalks right now, so I really think I should be using an indoor alterantive for now. Does it make a difference that she will likely not be encountering much grass once she does go out, except we go for very long walks (which we will at least once per day, but not every single time she goes out to go potty)? Meaning, when I try to transition her to going outdoors, how would one make the transition from terf to concrete? I've heard of people bringing pads outside with them to transition from those, but I'm not sure if that even works or if it's people just talking out of their other end, y'know?
Well, taking the puppy pad outside does help with the transition because I did it myself with my lurcher. But it's certainly the harder road to take.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, taking the puppy pad outside does help with the transition because I did it myself with my lurcher. But it's certainly the harder road to take.
Well that's nice to know that it actually worked for someone even if it was difficult. I'm willing to take a harder road for her health and safety at this point. The vet really doesn't want her outside - at the very least, until she's parasite free. Beyond her health, I don't want to put other dogs at risk by letting her poop outside rn with just how contagious giardia is.

I've been using a pad for about 2 days because of all that and she's actually doing a really good job distinguishing that from the floor. She's really smart and food motivated (using treats), and I got pads with an attractant in them (I think they use pheromones?), so I think she's grasping that it's different from my shag rug and hardwood floors. And no peeing on fabric or papers that have ended up on the floor momentarily (though, lots of trying to eat them 😂)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts