Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 week old Dorkie... 1/2 Dachshund and 1/2 Yorkie. She is a wonderful dog. Hardly any accidents, is crate trained, very intelligent. She knows commands such as, "Sit, Paw, Couch, Bed." She is very sociable and loves people and other dogs.

I really need help with her biting. She has the needle-like teeth and when she has a toy and I tell her to drop it, it takes about a minute or so for her to do so. She will start growling and bites down fairly hard.

She also doesn't know what the command..."Come Here"... I am not sure how to communicate that to her...

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You can start teaching her to trade you the toy for a treat. When you want her to release the toy, offer the treat and when she releases to take the treat, praise her. Don't try and pull the toy away from her. If she won't drop the toy, just ignore her. Eventually, she'll drop the toy and you need to be ready to reward her with a treat when she does. You can add the cue word you want to use once she's dropping the toy for a treat. I use drop but you can use any word you want as long as your consistent.

Dogs don't instinctively know any commands until we teach them. They do most of the behaviors we want in the course of everyday living. They sit, they lie down, they come to us. Capture those behaviors and reward them at the precise moment they are doing what it is you're trying to train. If you dog is coming to you, praise her and say "good come or here". Say it the moment she starts moving toward you and at least once more and when she gets to you, give her a treat.

If you look in the training and behavior section, you'll find some sticky threads on training.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts