Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

My Yorkie puppy is nine weeks old today and he still smells very strongly of when he was at his old place. It smells a bit like stale wee and poo although his coat looks clean. Of course I would like him to get into the routine of being bathed at home but is nine weeks old to young to bathe him?
Of course I would only use a puppy shampoo or baby shampoo on him, I would do it somewhere like my kitchen sink which is nice and shallow and make sure I dry him thoroughly; I just want to make sure I don't compromise his coat or skin in any way? I had hoped the smell would have faded for after a week but he still really smells and his coat is looking a bit greasy and dull as well :/ x

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh my goodness, he is too cute! I got Teddy when he was 9 weeks old too and gave him his first bath I want to say two days after he came home. I washed him in my sink as well, it was way easier than the bathtub because he was so tiny. I also towel dry him a little and then use the blow dryer until he's completely dry.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Nope, not too young!
Since he's going to have to be groomed regularly throughout his life it's actually a good idea to introduce him to grooming when young. Use treats and make the grooming process as enjoyable as possible!:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my goodness, he is too cute! I got Teddy when he was 9 weeks old too and gave him his first bath I want to say two days after he came home. I washed him in my sink as well, it was way easier than the bathtub because he was so tiny. I also towel dry him a little and then use the blow dryer until he's completely dry.
Thank you Hun, my little fella is called Teddy too. Can't quite see your profile picture but is your Teddy a Yorkie as well? That would be so funny :)
Okay, I may give him a little bath this evening then. I want him to be used to it because I intend to keep his coat short so want him to be used to baths before he starts having the groomer come to do his hair so that she doesn't have an almighty job :)

Plus he absolutely stinks like a litter tray lol X

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, not too young!
Since he's going to have to be groomed regularly throughout his life it's actually a good idea to introduce him to grooming when young. Use treats and make the grooming process as enjoyable as possible!
That's great stuff, I'm glad to hear it.
I did think it probably would be okay but I just wanted to get some confirmation before I did it. He finds things quite easy to take in his stride at the moment so I certainly want him used to it and he will be kept short so want him used to it before the groomer starts coming xx

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you Hun, my little fella is called Teddy too. Can't quite see your profile picture but is your Teddy a Yorkie as well? That would be so funny :)
Okay, I may give him a little bath this evening then. I want him to be used to it because I intend to keep his coat short so want him to be used to baths before he starts having the groomer come to do his hair so that she doesn't have an almighty job :)

Plus he absolutely stinks like a litter tray lol X
Oh yes he's a yorkie too lol. How funny they have the same name! Your little Teddy is adorable!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Maybe try and get some nice smelling baby shampoo. Poor puppy can't be much fun to smell like that. When my JRT had puppies she once puked all over one of the pups. He was I think about five weeks old. He promptly got a bath. And yes, it was also in the kitchen sink. Your little Teddy is very cute BTW.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe try and get some nice smelling baby shampoo. Poor puppy can't be much fun to smell like that. When my JRT had puppies she once puked all over one of the pups. He was I think about five weeks old. He promptly got a bath. And yes, it was also in the kitchen sink. Your little Teddy is very cute BTW.
Thank you, he is a sweetie :)

Yes it can't be nice and he sticks the house out more than my old Lab did :) bath time tonight then :) xx

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
go ahead and bath him...just make sure to take it slow and get him used to it gently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's ok to bathe him, but be sure he won't get scared of it, try to make this process as easiest (or even funny) as it possible. Your puppy is amazing :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everybody for your help.

I ended up giving Teddy a small bath in the kitchen sink, he wasn't impressed at all, however he enjoyed rubbing himself all over the couch while I hair-dried him. We will keep at it within reason and he has his first appointment with the hairdresser for 10 December so we will see how he goes :) X.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, if you have a yorkie it will require haircuts. If you do not plan to groom at home, please acclimate your puppy to the grooming facility you will be using.
I promise it will ensure better looking grooms when they are older.
and most all places will start giving baths for your puppies at a cheaper price at 8 weeks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, if you have a yorkie it will require haircuts. If you do not plan to groom at home, please acclimate your puppy to the grooming facility you will be using.
I promise it will ensure better looking grooms when they are older.
and most all places will start giving baths for your puppies at a cheaper price at 8 weeks
Thanks for your post.

Firstly this isn't my first Yorkshire Terrier so I am well aware that they need regular grooming and trims. In fact my last post confirmed he was booked in for 12 December.

Secondly, I have confirmed I will bath at home and my question only referred to bathing him at this young age. The weather is cold and wet here and I worried that an unnecessary bath just to remove his littermate smells would comprise his coat oils at a young age. I have clarified in subsequent posts that I will bathe him regularly and that I have now given him his first bath.

Thirdly, I would not dream of sending a 9.5 week old puppy to a groomers without his second vaccination for risk of picking up diseases from other dogs who have visited the groomers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, so cute he is.
It is not too young to bath. Just like people, we have regular shower when we are little baby. So does the puppy.
And grooming will be an interesting activity. Just make the grooming process as enjoyable as possible!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts