Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My large standard poodle has just passed one year old, and with brushing every other day to every 3 days at worst, 1-2 of his teeth are already becoming yellow/stained. One side is worse than the other, but it's in the same location and I focus on these parts the most during brushing.
I've heard of owners taking their dogs to un-anesthetized cleaning to remove surface plaque. What should I be doing to help lower the yellowing? Is this normal? I feel like he's very young to be getting this...

1st pic: the worst tooth
20200414_144336.jpg

2nd pic: the same area on the other side having the second worst staining
20200414_144614.jpg

3rd pic: his canines which are doing okay.
20200414_144831.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
With a Standard Poodle, I would not use chicken wings, but would use raw turkey necks. The turkey necks are more appropriately sized for a large dog and they have to chew them more which is what helps clean the teeth. For a size example I give my 8 lb Chi x Dach a chicken wing to help clean his teeth, but when I had my 24 lb and 44 lb dogs I gave them the turkey necks. You can feed them frozen, but I've always defrosted them.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Agree giving a size appropriate raw natural product is best , not those nasty prepacked commercial dental chew things.

Benny was 15 when he died and his teeth were almost perfect white.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the tips! Yes, I'm currently using a toothpaste that mentions enzymes in the back description (not very comforting if its so hidden away...), though its running low. So, I just bought a new one with high reviews, Virbac C.E.T.? Which more clearly focuses on enzymatic cleaning, as far as I can tell. I'll also try to find some turkey necks for him :). He'll lose his mind for any chance at a snack so this will be a great treat.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Kophing, I have been using CET for year for ours. She last had her teeth professionally cleaned when she was three years old. She is now eleven and a half, her teeth are stain free, white, and more importantly, when our Vet examines her, says her teeth need no intervention. I brush hers daily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts